The ‘Rap Doctor’ explains the lyrics and story behind his hit track Anaa featuring Morris D’Voice.
GHanacelebrities.com: You describe yourself as the Rap Doctor, what is RAP?
Okyeame Kwame: RAP is the acronym for Rhythmic African Poetry. In simple terms, it’s poetry in motion; poetry being recited in rhythm. Another school of thought explains that rap is a clip version of rhapsody which is explained by Greek philosophers like Aristotle and Plato as appellations. In an African sense, it can be traced to court poetry. An example is the drum language (Ayan and Amoma). In short, the rapper is the chief drummer communicating over the background drum sets. Picture an ensemble of drummers at a function with a lead drummer. The lead drummer is the rapper while the background drummers are the beat used by the rapper.
Ghanacelebrities.com: Did you consider this strongly in composing the song Anaa?
Okyeame Kwame: Yes I did. As already explained, Rap is a combination of 3 elements – rhythm, African and poetry. With this song, Anaa, the poetry dominated. However, the remaining elements are present. It’s African because when the rap gets to its peak, ie where it is fast, the drum pattern changes to kete. The rhythm here is the African part of the poetry. Another African feature about Anaa are the twi pronunciation and traditional signals eg “me t? ntoma wo a wobefura ma n’apa.” In contemporary times, the men buy designer clothing for their women not cloth. Also, I employed history, like the legend of Boasiako, the man who sacrificed himself to save his people.
Ghanacelebrities.com: Were you that particular about the poetic devices employed for Anaa?
Okyeame Kwame: In Anaa, I use hyperbole or exaggeration. The song in its entirety is metaphoric. When one listens closely, the intended meaning is embedded and buried deep in the song. The rap expresses the ideas of a man desperate to know what exactly he must do to make his woman happy. To express how desperate he is and how naïve he is about the needs and feelings of the woman, he asks the woman questioningly “Anaa”. This is a word of uncertainty. For a superman who is capable of turning himself into blood and going into the blood vessels of the woman to feel what she is feeling to ask this question of uncertainty is a sign of humility. The superman must know everything which is not the case here. This expresses conflict which is also metaphorical. To express how confused I am, I also soliloquised, changing from addressing the woman to addressing myself “menye den menye den eyaa me bisa me”. This is an expression of desperation. I also employed the device of repetition which is for emphasis. Example is the recurrence of Anaa. The chorus is in a call and response. Response is wo bedi ama n’asa which symbolises insatiability and wobefura ama n’apa expressing perishability and enye ade a obi nny?? bi da signifying originality. These explain the extent to which the man wants to please the woman.
Ghanacelebrities: why does the speed of the rap change so drastically within the song?
Okyeame Kwame: I slow pace the rap at the beginning. I rap fast at some portions because the lyrics suggest I do so and at other times just for stylistic reasons. After all, music must not only communicate but entertain. There, the issue is at its peak. Also, the main theme is found in the chorus and the first verse where it is relatively slow.
Ghanacelebrities.com: All in all, what is the meaning of the song?
Okyeame Kwame: People look too far for love. That is because love means different things to different people. So the song is trying to find out whether it is clothes, or sacrifices that makes one’s partner happy. Before the man comes back to these simple questions, his mind wanders far away into seemingly little but very significant things of nature like air, nails and blood which come to us freely yet placing less premium on them. If we look critically, we will realise that all these three natural things are very helpful and lifesaving to the human body.
Ghanacelebrities.com: Is this a Single?
Okyeame Kwame: This song is not a single. It is on the M’anwensem album. However, at the time of release, crunk music was the order of the day so the public piqued their interest in “Woso”. However, One Mic Entertainment believed the song was very artistic and decided to bring it to public knowledge. There are other great songs on the album that have various artistic concepts which are very interesting.
Ghanacelebrities.com: When is your next album coming out?
Okyeame Kwame: In June. But One Mic will drop one from my album any moment.
Ghanacelebrities.com: Tell us more
Okyeame Kwame: The album is called THE CLINIC. Not done with the recording but will give my friends and fans their money’s worth. The doctor gives counseling, diagnosis and performs his therapeutic works all from the clinic. The Rap Doctor’s lyrics seek to achieve the same goals. The place where my lyrics come from represents the clinic. Morris D’Voice, Tattoo, Tinny, The Lynx family, Kwabena Kwabena, Bradez, Samini, Obuor, Sway, and David Banner are some of the artists featured on the album.
Ghanacelebrities.com: Final Word:
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- Obrafour Says He Can’t Wait To Reunite With Reggie Rockstone On The ‘Back In The Day’ Concert Stage After My Years Of Not Performing On Same Stage + MORE
- John Dumelo Explains How His Song With Sarkodie Came About, Talks About His Soon To Be Opened Hotels & University, He Says Women Have Taught Him A Lesson + MORE
- Rising Ghanaian Musician-Bossu Shares His UK Experience, His Observations On The Performance Of Ghana Music In UK & Talks About His Upcoming Single With Obrafour
- Reggie Rockstone Says There Is NO Ghana Music Industry, Explains Why He Will Be Performing At The ‘Back In The Day’ Concert Despite Having Turned Down Several Shows & What Fans Should Expect...
- Fast Rising UK Based Ghanaian Artiste-Charsay Of ‘London Bus’ Fame Talks About His Style of Music, Source Of Inspiration, Being The Next Big Thing, Kind Of Girl & Other Interesting Things…
Latest On BeyondGossip.Com!
- Mike Tyson Has Cancelled His Book Signing Tour in UK Because He Is Barred From Britain Over Rape Conviction
- Kim Kardashian Says Her BODY Is Back As She Covers US Weekly
- Rapper-The Game Honours Nelson Mandela With A New Tattoo
- Kanye West Says Being A Rapper Is Dangerous, Just Like A Cop Or Being At War
- PHOTOS: Keri Hilson Celebrates Her 31st Birthday With T-Pain & Others
- The Vivacious Braxton Sisters Grace The Cover Of Hype Hair
- Gabrielle Union Looking Super FAB At The Alvin Ailey 2013 Opening Night Gala
Latest On IAmSassyChic.Com!
- How To Maintain Your Skin During The Festive Period
- How To Date Someone With Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI)
- Everything You Should Know About Your Bra
- How To Lose Weight Before Christmas Day!
- How To Overcome Wardrobe Malfunction
- Staying Younger Even When Age Knocks At Your Door
- How To Win Your First Date