Affectionately and deservingly dubbed the Godfather of Hip Life, Reggie Rockstone is a multi-talented rapper, producer and dancer credited with the origination of the hip life genre.
Reginald Osei was born in the United Kingdom on April, 11 in the late 1960s. He started out as a dancer in the early 80s and later trained as an actor before joining a rap group in England during the early 90s. However, he achieved moderate success in UK as a rapper. Upon his return to Ghana in the mid nineties he began work on his debut album which was released in 1997 titled “Makaa! Maka!” The album was innovative as he fucussed the traditional tune of high life with contemporary rap beats intricately woven with Twi lyrics, thus, producing a tune that appealed to mass audiences. The album went on to spin out over five hit singles which include “Agoo,” “Tsoo Boi,” “Nightlife in Accra,” and “Sweetie, Sweetie.”
The success of debut album launched him into the limelight. He was featured in the prestigious “Source” magazine, the first African musician and rapper ever to be featured in the magazine. A series of rumored collaboration between Reggie and Eminem ensued, though none came to fruition, the fact still remains that Reggie Rockstone is the most prominent and innovative Ghanaian rapper.
On the heels of his first album, he released his sophomore album titled “Ma Na Me Kae.” His follow-up album was as also commercially successful. Shelling out hit singles such as ‘Eye Mo De Anaa’ sampled fron Fela Kuti’s hit “Shakara”, ‘Plan Ben?’ and ‘Keep Your Eyes on The Road’ also sampled from a 1970′s highlife tune by Alhaji K. Reggie Rockstone showed his diversity as a rapper and lyricist with this album as it touched on various social issues. He released a follow-up album in 2000 which achieved moderate success.
Rockstone has won numerous awards, including a Kora Award for the best African Video in 2004 and has performed alongside various international artists such as Shaggy and Bennie Man. Following a long hiatus, Reggie Rockstone’s working new album has been released this year.
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- SPOTLIGHT: Eric ‘Coptic’ Kwabena Matlock - A Musical Genius
- SPOTLIGHT: Okyeame Quophi - A Real Creative Gem
- SPOTLIGHT: Adjoa Andoh-Exceptional, Diverse And Honouring The Motherland
- SPOTLIGHT: David Gyasi - A Rising Black Star
- PHOTOS: Lydia Forson Finally Gives Up On Natural Hair + A Gist On Her Latest Movie In Sierra Leone...
Latest On BeyondGossip.Com!
- Oprah Winfrey Says She Has No Regrets About Not Having Kids
- Mike Tyson Has Cancelled His Book Signing Tour in UK Because He Is Barred From Britain Over Rape Conviction
- Kim Kardashian Says Her BODY Is Back As She Covers US Weekly
- Rapper-The Game Honours Nelson Mandela With A New Tattoo
- Kanye West Says Being A Rapper Is Dangerous, Just Like A Cop Or Being At War
- PHOTOS: Keri Hilson Celebrates Her 31st Birthday With T-Pain & Others
- The Vivacious Braxton Sisters Grace The Cover Of Hype Hair
Latest On IAmSassyChic.Com!
- How To Maintain Your Skin During The Festive Period
- How To Date Someone With Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI)
- Everything You Should Know About Your Bra
- How To Lose Weight Before Christmas Day!
- How To Overcome Wardrobe Malfunction
- Staying Younger Even When Age Knocks At Your Door
- How To Win Your First Date