Shirley Frimpong Manso is a Ghanaian movie producer/writer/director emerging as the biggest force to reckon with in terms of quality Ghanaian movies. She is the CEO of Sparrow Productions and a former radio personality. Unlike the job she does, she is a very private person. By far one of the most talented and highly ambitious young women in Ghana today, Shirley seeks to raise the standard of film production in Ghana and Africa by telling progressive African stories as seen through the eyes of Africans. She won the ‘Best Best Director’ at the African Movie Academy Awards 2010.
Shirley gave birth to a lovely baby boy in March 2010.
Born on the 16th of March 1977, Shirley hails from Kwahu Pepease (father side) and Akropong-Akuapim (mother side) all in the Eastern Region- Ghana. She begun directing and writing for the kids as she used to play with as a child. “I will organize them into groups and we will always put up some drama imagining that there was a huge audience. It just felt like a lot more fun than playing with sand and dolls. I continued in secondary school when I realized I was having more fun in English and Literature class than anywhere else. Then I knew I really wanted to pursue it once I enrolled into NAFTI,” she said.
Shirley attended Mfantsiman Girls Secondary School in the Central Region and obtained her “A” level certificate in 1996. She worked as a presenter at Radio Gold after graduation.
Road To Success
In the year 2000, Shirley took a degree course at the National Film and Television Institute (NAFTI).
She had to combine studies with the radio work. During her studies at NAFTI, she met Juliet Asante of the “oo Baby” and owner of Eagle productions, they did a collaboration and brought together the once most exciting show on television, “Heart to Heart” for two years under Eagle Productions. After two years of “Heart to Heart”, Shirley decided to register a company to bring out her ideas. In August 2003, Sparrows Productions was registered. After school, Shirley took the full position of CEO of Sparrows Productions.
Sparrows Productions is also an advertisement and television production firm.
With a background in directing, writing, presenting, producing; and event organization, Shirley Frimpong – Manso brings to the Ghanaian entertainment Industry a rich and varied experience.
Shirley graduated with first class honors in Film Directing from the National Film and Television Institute and has written, produced and directed:
Different Shades of Blue- A television serial about five university girls who share a dormitory in a university hostel.
Personalities Kitchen- A cooking program that hosts two personalities and challenges them to a rice meal of their choice.
The Miss Ghana Pageant- She produced two semifinalists at the Miss World event within five years during her time.
Her movie, “A Sting In A Tale” has received an award at the 18th Annual Pan African Film & Arts Festival in the category ‘Audience Favorite-Narrative Feature’. She has five very popular and widely acclaimed Ghanaian movies:
1. Life And Living It
3. The Perfect Picture
4. A Sting In A Tale
5. Check Mate
6. 6 Hours to Christmas
African Movie Academy Awards 2010- Best Director of the Year
African Movie Academy Awards 2010- ‘A Sting In A Tale’ won the ‘Best Sound Track’ award
18th Annual Pan African Film & Arts Festival- ‘A Sting In A Tale’ took home the award for ‘Audience Favorite-Narrative Feature’
“I’m a disciplinarian, I don’t condone gossip and I don’t suffer fools easily”
“I like to learn, I’m open to sensible criticism, and I have a lot of respect for people with principles”.
Shirley is generally inspired by people who tread where only a few go… President Obama, Mandela, Angelina Jolie, Oprah Winfrey. Every-day events inspire her stories.
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- Exclusive Interview + Photos: Rising Star-Christabel Ekeh Talks About Moving From Miss Malaika To Become An Actress, Her Passion, Her Fears, State Of The Ghana Movie Industry, Her Fast Developing Career & More…
- SPOTLIGHT: Atto Erick, A Handsome Fast Rising Versatile Ghanaian Actor
- Celebrity Profile: The Outstanding Freema Agyemang In Focus
- Spotlight: Naa Ashorkor Mensah-Doku
- Spotlight: Chris Attoh
Latest On BeyondGossip.Com!
- Mike Tyson Has Cancelled His Book Signing Tour in UK Because He Is Barred From Britain Over Rape Conviction
- Kim Kardashian Says Her BODY Is Back As She Covers US Weekly
- Rapper-The Game Honours Nelson Mandela With A New Tattoo
- Kanye West Says Being A Rapper Is Dangerous, Just Like A Cop Or Being At War
- PHOTOS: Keri Hilson Celebrates Her 31st Birthday With T-Pain & Others
- The Vivacious Braxton Sisters Grace The Cover Of Hype Hair
- Gabrielle Union Looking Super FAB At The Alvin Ailey 2013 Opening Night Gala
Latest On IAmSassyChic.Com!
- How To Maintain Your Skin During The Festive Period
- How To Date Someone With Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI)
- Everything You Should Know About Your Bra
- How To Lose Weight Before Christmas Day!
- How To Overcome Wardrobe Malfunction
- Staying Younger Even When Age Knocks At Your Door
- How To Win Your First Date