He plays many roles onscreen but Van Vicker’s new role as a concerned global citizen and active United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Goodwill Ambassador is more about humanity than movies. The humble Ghanaian actor has joined the long list of superstars such as Agelina Jolie, Barbara Hendricks and Giorgio Armani already appointed for the same role.
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is mandated to lead and co-ordinate international action to protect refugees and resolve refugee problems worldwide. Its primary purpose is to safeguard the rights and well-being of refugees.
Van expressed his enthusiasm as he assumes his new role. “It was with great enthusiasm and excitement that I endorsed the UNHCR proposal for me to serve as a Goodwill Ambassador because helping people out is something I love to do,” he told The Punch Newspaper.
As a UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador Van Vicker will use his status as a star to generate media coverage about the plight of refugees and draw attention to important issues. Geared towards addressing social issues, he has already established a humanitarian foundation that supports, inspires and motivates the youth. He also showed his love by raising money to help the people of Haiti during the earthquake.
Source: Obour Amankwa/GhanaCelebrities.com
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- Burkina Faso President Blaise Compaore Finally Resigns
- Good Name is Better than Riches: Starr FM Honours Komla Dumor By Naming Their Newsroom After Him
- Massive Rush for Invitations for Tigo Music Unplugged
- Apple CEO- Tim Cook Publicly Confirms He is GAY | Says ‘I'm Proud to Be Gay’
- Sexist English FA Chief Who Said Women's Place is in The Kitchen, Not on the Pitch is SUSPENDED Yet Bishop Duncan Williams is Being Defended for the Same Bigotry By Women