If you pay attention to the images portrayed in magazines and mainstream movies, most will have you believe that all men are stuck on the idea of their women having long hair. Whether it’s Beyoncé or Tamika up the block, achieving that look usually means getting a weave, tracks, wig, or whatever other follicle trickery beauticians use to fake the funk. That’s not to say that a black woman can’t have naturally long hair without assistance, but more times than not that sister with the ponytail is actually rocking a phony tail.
I for one am a man that appreciates natural hair. Be it locks, an Afro, curly tresses or even a low-cut Caesar, I admire a woman that is comfortable in her own skin and hair. There’s just a certain sexiness and confidence I get from a woman that decides to defy the norm by rockin’ the hair God gave her. Again, that’s no knock against sisters that prefer a perm and extensions, but natural hair is more my speed. But maybe I’m alone in that distinction.
Mainstream media beats us over the head with images of longhaired women being the ideal form of beauty. From childhood ideas of beauty that defy our own African heritage are what we’re exposed to. Our daughters grow up playing with Barbie dolls that have silky smooth hair and watching cartoons that highlight the same features. Somewhere along the way our sons learn early on to pay more attention to the girls with “good hair.” A few parents make a concerted effort to teach their kids diversity, but for the most part we all wind up repeating the same cycle.
Young girls grow into women that can’t wait to get their hair did and balk at the idea of getting caught in the rain for fear of reverting back to their “nappy” roots. Young boys grow into men that chase short skirts and long hair for sport. As a result, black hair care is a multi-billion dollar industry, where perms, weaves and wigs are the norm. Even women that sport short cuts, like Rihanna and Halle Berry, are guilty of layering their tresses with tracks and extensions, while most guys are clueless.
Essence.com Beauty Editor Tia Williams recently hit the streets of Harlem, NY to see is men could tell which celebrities had long African-American hair or weaves. Needless to say, the ladies had the brothers fooled. Truthfully, the average man probably can’t tell the real from the fake with hair (or anything else for that matter) unless a woman is wearing an extremely bad weave.
All we care about is whether or not a woman can treat us as good as she looks. Now that’s real
Source : Anslem “NWSO” Samuel
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- SOMEWHERE IN THE WORLD: BBC Viewers Are Angry, 1,350 People Complain About 'EXCESSIVE' Coverage Of Mandela's Death
- Winner Of 2006 Miss Malaika-Hamamat Montia Has STOLEN A Car?
- DO YOU KNOW THAT: People Who Can Ignore Texts Or Calls Are Happier Than Those Who Answer?
- Nigeria’s Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy, Jay Z Tops Nominations + The Full List Of Nominees
- 2013 AfricaMagic Viewers’ Choice Awards Nominations Are In...Yvonne Okoro, Jackie Appiah, Majid Michel, Shirley Frimpong-Manso, Ken Attoh & Others Nominated!
Latest On BeyondGossip.Com!
- Kanye West Says Being A Rapper Is Dangerous, Just Like A Cop Or Being At War
- PHOTOS: Keri Hilson Celebrates Her 31st Birthday With T-Pain & Others
- The Vivacious Braxton Sisters Grace The Cover Of Hype Hair
- Gabrielle Union Looking Super FAB At The Alvin Ailey 2013 Opening Night Gala
- Mariah Carey Looking ‘Christmasly’ Naughty & Cute As She Performs At Rockefeller Center
- Terrence Howard Secretly Marries Girlfriend After One Month Of Dating?
- Detective Says Paul Walker’s Car Was Going 90 MPH In A 45 MPH Speed Zone At Time Of Fatal Crash!
Latest On IAmSassyChic.Com!
- How To Date Someone With Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI)
- Everything You Should Know About Your Bra
- How To Lose Weight Before Christmas Day!
- How To Overcome Wardrobe Malfunction
- Staying Younger Even When Age Knocks At Your Door
- How To Win Your First Date
- Secrets Your Man Would Not Want You To Know