Ernestina Naadu Mills, Ghana’s first lady, gave Michelle Obama a Backes and Strauss “Black Star of Ghana” watch, “crafted in 18 karat gold with diamonds and leather,” White House papers revealed yesterday.
It was valued at USD 48,000.
Compare this to India: The most expensive gifts from the Indian Prime Minister to President Barack Obama was a collection of books with an estimated value of USD 3,572. Singh presented to Obama a burgundy rug with a foliate motif worth USD 1,200, while to Michelle he gifted a beige Pashmina shawl worth USD 666 made by the Kashmir Loom Company.
WASHINGTON – In his first year as US president, Barack Obama, his family and administration members were showered with more than 300,000 dollars in gifts from Saudi Arabia’s King Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz.
The Federal Register reported Tuesday that King Abdullah gave some 34,500 dollars worth of presents to Obama, some 146,200 dollars worth to First Lady Michelle Obama and 7,275 dollars worth to their children Malia and Sasha.
The monarch offered a total of 108,245 dollars worth of gifts to White House staff, presents valued at 23,400 dollars to a senior US diplomatic interpreter and gifts estimated at 12,000 dollars to the US charge d’affaires in Riyadh.
Among the gifts Obama received from Abdullah were a “large desert scene on a green veined marble base featuring figurines of gold palm trees and camels” and a large brass and glass clock by Jaeger-LeCoultre, according to the register.
The Saudi king gave the First Lady a ruby and diamond jewelry set worth 132,000 dollars as well as a pearl necklace with a value of 14,200 dollars, according to the register.
Their children also received jewelry worth thousands of dollars in addition to books and DVDs.
Another generous foreign dignitary was Ernestina Naadu Mills, Ghana’s first lady, who gave Michelle Obama a Backes and Strauss “Black Star of Ghana” watch, “crafted in 18 karat gold with diamonds and leather,” the register said.
It was valued at 48,000 dollars.
Chinese President Hu Jintao gave Obama “a framed and matted fine silk embroidery depicting a portrait study of the First Family” that was valued at 20,000 dollars, according to the register.
Miyuki Hatoyama, wife of then prime minister Yukio Hatoyama of Japan, gave Michelle Obama a pearl necklace valued at 9,700 dollars.
Obama got a bronze statue of a girl releasing a flock of doves valued at 8,000 dollars from Israeli President Shimon Peres.
All the presents go to the National Archives as US law bars any US government official from receiving a present from a foreign government.
Obama and others accepted the gifts because “non-acceptance would cause embarrassment to donor and US government,” according to the register.
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- Michael Adebolajo, The British-Muslim Convert Of Nigerian Origin Who Attempted To Behead And Disembowel A Young Soldier Was Inspired By Cleric Omar Bakri Mohammed
- Videos: Watch Yvonne Nelson’s Top 10 Music Videos
- Court Orders Confidence Haugen To Stop Using ‘STOLEN’ Logo
- OMG: Cannes Film Festival Falls For The Fake Psy Of Gangnam Syyle Fame
- PHOTOS From Miss Ghana 2012 1st Runner-Up Nadia Ntanu’s India Visit
Latest On BeyondGossip.Com!
- VIDEO: Ray J Talks About Missing Kim, Him Being Responsible For Her Success & More
- I Never Said Jay-Z Was A ‘Tranny Chaser’ Says Foxy Brown
- New Music: ‘I’m Out ‘ By Ciara ft. Nicki Minaj
- PHOTOS: Nicki Minaj Spotted In NY Looking Miserable
- It Has Been Confirmed That Beyonce Is Pregnant Again—Sort Of!
- Rapper Drake Spotted In Miami, Wooing A Blonde Chick
- Tamar Braxton Shuts Down Bleaching Rumour, Reveals Struggle With Vitiligo
Latest On IAmSassyChic.Com!
- Are You Suffering From Burnout?
- Reasons Why Women Type Like Thissss ‘Words Elongation’
- Is This One More Reason Why You Should Not Marry? Couples Start Taking Each Other For Granted After Just Three And A Half Years Of Marriage
- Ladies Don’t Know Jack About Valentines
- New Craze…Textured/Velvet Nails: Like it ?
- TopVincent.Com: Are You Losing Yourself To Robots? Get A Real Life With The Real World…
- Research Shows That Women Moan & Scream In Bed Because They Think It Makes ‘Banging’ Better, What The HECK?