Activities leading up to the Ghana Music Awards Festival 2011 are well under with the successful completion of the Brainstorming and Categorization Committee’s meeting.
The meeting which was held on Friday January 21, 2010 at the British Council Hall, witnessed highly spirited discussion between some notable members of the growing entertainment industry in Ghana who had valuable opinions to share on the GMA’s.
The highly energetic meeting was attended by big names in the industry like Panji Anoff, Nana Kwaku Osei (Nacy), Appietus, Ahmed Banda (Bandex), Akuba Quarmine of GTV, K K Kabobo, David Kyei (Kaywa), Fifi Folson, Ernest Kwesi Ennin, Dj Mensa and Nana Kwame O Sarpong among many others.
The Planning Committee of the GMA also saw Rev. Micheal Ohene-Okantah of the University of Education Winneba, representing the school of music where so many musical talents are nursed yearly.
The Agenda for the discussion was simple; discuss the developments in the music industry over the last year with reference to the awards, examine the awards categories and finally to categorize the entries into the various categories.
This agenda engaged the professionals from about 11 AM when the meeting began till about 3 PM when the Committee finally moved to have lunch and to continue further discussions in close quarters. As part of the discussion some new categories were suggested.
Notable among the suggestions were The Best Performer of the Year, Best Ghanaian Artistes in the Diaspora and the Engineer of the Year. One conclusion that was drawn in all the discussion was that although all the members of the various Committees of the GMA are drawn from the industry itself, it was the only way to ensure the scheme works well.
A call was therefore made to everyone who was invited to join in the decision making process of the scheme to attach seriousness to their responsibility and be diligent and as dispassionate as possible. However, all efforts would be made to exclude industry practitioners associated with works in contention, from all the various voting committees.
The data collected from the categorizations processes will be compiled and presented to the Planning Committee when it meets on Wednesday January 26, 2011 to discuss the processes so far and to begin work on cutting down the nominees to size.
It is important to note that one of the Planning Committee’s main responsibilities is to complete categorization of the Public Categories which are mainly based on popularity like the Song Categories, the Artistes Categories and the Album Categories.
This Committee also generates and vets the entries into the Industry Categories which are not based so much on popularity, such as the Instrumentalist, Record of the Year, Male and Female Vocal performance and Producer of the Year etc.
The current list of categories in the GMA 2011 scheme are:
- Artiste(s) of the Year
- Hiplife/Hip Hop Artiste(s) of the Year
- Highlife Artiste(s) of the Year
- Gospel Artiste(s) of the Year
- Discovery of the Year
- Best Collaboration of the year
- African Artiste(s) of the Year
- Hiplife Song of the Year
- Highlife song of the Year
- Most Popular Song of the Year
- Afro-Pop Song of the Year
- Hip Hop Song of the Year
- Gospel Song of the year
- Reggae Song of the Year
- Best Rapper of the year
The Industry categories:
- Album of the Year
- Best Male vocal performance (Solo/Group)
- Female vocal performance (Solo/Group)
- Best Music Video of the Year
- Songwriter of the Year
- Record Label of the Year
- Producer of the Year
- Traditional Artiste(s) of the Year
- Record of the Year
- Instrumentalist of the Year
- MUSIGA Merit of the Year
Any further changes made to these categories will be communicated subsequently.
Meanwhile a special call is being sent out for entries into the MUSIC FOR DEVELOPMENT sponsored by the World Bank. All entries for this category must reach Charterhouse before 7th February to allow the committee ample time to work on the entries.
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- PDP is Calling on All Nigerians in Ghana | Travel to Nigeria and Vote For that Deserving Candidate-Goodluck Jonathan on February 14 For a Strong & Better Nigeria…
- Drinking Spot Operator Fined for Disturbing Public Peace | What Happens to the Countless Noisy Churches?
- WhatsApp Is The New ‘Apor’ | 56 Nursing Trainees Sanctioned For Using Application To Cheat During Exams
- KKD Has Been at the Police Hospital for Some Days Now | Bail to Be Requested on Health Grounds?
- Attempt to Steal Wallet Gets Young Man Burnt to Death in Dansoman