The Bureau of National Investigations (BNI) has begun investigations into the growing rate of homosexuality in the Western and Central regions, Western Regional Minister, Mr. Paul Evans Aidoo has revealed.
According to the minister, there is the need for a thorough investigation into what he terms a “social canker” which has contributed to the growing rate of HIV/AIDS in the country.
About eight thousand homosexuals were registered by non-governmental organization (NGOs) at a day’s workshop in the Western and some parts of the Central regions after they (homosexuals) underwent voluntary counseling and testing with majority of them infected with sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), including HIV/AIDS.
The workshop, which was funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), aimed at training health workers to be abreast with the basic facts about HIV and AIDS also revealed that, the homosexuals included students in junior and senior high schools, polytechnics and workers.
The growing rate of homosexuals in the country has resulted in the tripling of sexually transmitted diseases especially HIV and AIDS.
Mr Paul Evans Aidoo revealed on Adom FM on Wednesday that, even though homosexuality is illegal, it is still widely practiced secretly which makes it very difficult to arrest the culprits.
He said it is very important for the homosexuals to be identified, especially those infected with STDs to control the spread.
The Western Regional Minister added that the BNI is working closely with the police, Ghana Health Service and the NGO to find a lasting solution to the problem.
Mr. Aidoo stressed the need for more education on the dangers of homosexuality in the country.
But a constitutional lawyer, Yaw Anokye Frimpong argued that the BNI or the police have no right to arrest homosexuals in the country.
He said even though some religion frown upon homosexuality, it is not explicitly stated in the criminal code that it is a crime.
Lawyer Anokye Frimpong argued that homosexuality is a sexual preference which no one must be discriminated upon if he or she decides to indulge in.
Source: Joy Online
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- MORE RED CARPET PHOTOS: Zoe Saldana, Clive Owen, Takao Osawa, Nanako Matsushima, Tatsuya Fujiwara, Rasaroi Dawson, Fred Nuamah, Captain Planet & Others At 66 Cannes Film Festival
- PricelessMom.Com: YES! Loving Too Much Can Kill
- CELEB STYLE: Captain Planet’s Glitzy Appearance At 2013 Cannes Film Festival Alongside Hollywood Actress
- 2768 Downloads In 2 Weeks Since I 'UnCopyrighted' My Life Changing Book-'Success Is A Right, Not A Privilege'…Get Your FREE Copy Now!
- PHOTOS OF THE DAY: Confidence Haugen, Good Genes Or Good Doctor?
Latest On BeyondGossip.Com!
- It Has Been Confirmed That Beyonce Is Pregnant Again—Sort Of!
- Rapper Drake Spotted In Miami, Wooing A Blonde Chick
- Tamar Braxton Shuts Down Bleaching Rumour, Reveals Struggle With Vitiligo
- Beyonce Rocks The Stage Against Doctors’ Orders In Belgium & Apologizes Again To The Belgium Crowd On Stage For Show Cancellation
- Dr. Dre Donates $70 Million To USC
- Kelly Rownland Talks About Being Jealous Of Beyonce In New Music ‘Dirty Laundry’
- Actress Angelina Jolie Had Both Of Her Breasts Removed to Prevent Cancer
Latest On IAmSassyChic.Com!
- Are You Suffering From Burnout?
- Reasons Why Women Type Like Thissss ‘Words Elongation’
- Is This One More Reason Why You Should Not Marry? Couples Start Taking Each Other For Granted After Just Three And A Half Years Of Marriage
- Ladies Don’t Know Jack About Valentines
- New Craze…Textured/Velvet Nails: Like it ?
- TopVincent.Com: Are You Losing Yourself To Robots? Get A Real Life With The Real World…
- Research Shows That Women Moan & Scream In Bed Because They Think It Makes ‘Banging’ Better, What The HECK?