The Bureau of National Investigations (BNI) has begun investigations into the growing rate of homosexuality in the Western and Central regions, Western Regional Minister, Mr. Paul Evans Aidoo has revealed.
According to the minister, there is the need for a thorough investigation into what he terms a “social canker” which has contributed to the growing rate of HIV/AIDS in the country.
About eight thousand homosexuals were registered by non-governmental organization (NGOs) at a day’s workshop in the Western and some parts of the Central regions after they (homosexuals) underwent voluntary counseling and testing with majority of them infected with sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), including HIV/AIDS.
The workshop, which was funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), aimed at training health workers to be abreast with the basic facts about HIV and AIDS also revealed that, the homosexuals included students in junior and senior high schools, polytechnics and workers.
The growing rate of homosexuals in the country has resulted in the tripling of sexually transmitted diseases especially HIV and AIDS.
Mr Paul Evans Aidoo revealed on Adom FM on Wednesday that, even though homosexuality is illegal, it is still widely practiced secretly which makes it very difficult to arrest the culprits.
He said it is very important for the homosexuals to be identified, especially those infected with STDs to control the spread.
The Western Regional Minister added that the BNI is working closely with the police, Ghana Health Service and the NGO to find a lasting solution to the problem.
Mr. Aidoo stressed the need for more education on the dangers of homosexuality in the country.
But a constitutional lawyer, Yaw Anokye Frimpong argued that the BNI or the police have no right to arrest homosexuals in the country.
He said even though some religion frown upon homosexuality, it is not explicitly stated in the criminal code that it is a crime.
Lawyer Anokye Frimpong argued that homosexuality is a sexual preference which no one must be discriminated upon if he or she decides to indulge in.
Source: Joy Online
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- READERS' MAIL: The Hypocrisy & Thievery Nature of Ghanaians | The CEO of Red Row Estate Joined Yvonne Nelson for Dumsor Vigil When His Estate Runs On ECG Illegal Connections…
- Who's Lying? Security Guard At the Red Row Estate Confirms the Entire Estate Has Been Disconnected But Management Says Only 12 of Their Houses Had the Illegal Connection
- GC Arrested Journalist FINALLY Released...
- UPDATED: GC Journalist Who Visited The Red Row Estate Where Yvonne Nelson Lives Has Been 'ARRESTED'...FOR WHAT?
- Confession: ‘President Mahama & NDC Have Paid Me to Tarnish Yvonne Nelson’s Name’ Says Blogger-Chris-Vincent