As a patriotic Ghanaian, I detest people who make comments that seem to suggest that they do not like Ghanaian movies. Comments such as ‘I don’t watch Ghanaian movies’ and ‘I only watch foreign movies’ and the rest of such worthless comments irritate me.
Nonetheless I think that people who make such comments can’t be blamed for their stand. This is because sometimes it’s very painful to watch some of these Ghanaian movies with horrific pictures, inappropriate languages, bad sound and lots of continuity inaccuracies.
So it’s somehow prudent to concur with the people who have constantly drummed into our ears their strong aversion for movies produced in Ghana. Just imagine sitting through the entire duration of a Ghanaian movie and only to realize that, the story line is similar to several Ghanaian movies you have already watched.
Don’t get it twisted, it’s not a similar story; it’s actually the same story twisted with different casts.
Least I forget, their story lines are about love: If it’s not about someone dreaming about a lady and goes to gallivant searching for the said lady [imagine this], then it would be a man who claims to love a girl yet goes to the ladies house to insult and beat the parents.
But the latest movie ‘Somewhere In Africa’ departs away from the known love themed movies. It’s a story about coup d’état. Now I understand why most movie producers in Ghana always produce love movies; the budget. ‘Somewhere In Africa’ appears to be a well produced movie.
Coup D’état is simply the military intervention in politics and Africans are still fighting this disease. For Ghanaians, coup d’états are still fresh in the minds.
The movie tells a story of a change in government in Kimbala. The coup d’état was masterminded by Lieutenant Yusuf Mumbasa [Played by Majid Michel], a thirsty and fierce man.
He subjected the whole country to a serious pandemonium as he and his men [loyalist] pursued and killed government officials who he felt were milking the country dry.
In a town where blood thirsty militant subject the government to coup d’état, life is unpredictable. The influential are coiled in their shells in total stillness and the civilians hide behind hypocritical facet of patriotism.
No one dares Mumbasa, the widows cry, orphans wail and the town mourns in complete silence. There arises a group of fearless combatants: a group of unstoppable students who refuses to fall into a category of cowards.
Their audacity is reinforced by esteemed solidarity to seek justice for the family of their widow vice principal, whose husband [played by Rev. Eddie Coffie] fell victim to the callous act of Mumbasa. At this juncture, it can’t be told who is fiercer the students or Mumbasa.
‘Somewhere In Africa’ stars Majid Michel, Martha Ankomah, David Dontoh, Roselyn Ngissah among others. The grand premiere of the movie is on July 30, 2011 at the National Theatre, Ghana. There will be two showing; 6pm and 8pm.
The movie then shows in the following cities below:
Accra: Silverbird Cinema On 19th August, 2011 at 6pm and 8pm
Kumasi: Miklin Hotel On 5th August, 2011 at 6pm and 8pm
Takoradi: Polytechnic Hall On 20th August, 2011 at 6pm and 8pm
Tamale: P. Conner Hotel Hall On 26th, 27th & 28th, 2011 at 6pm and 8pm
Sunyani: Centre For National Culture On 13th August, 2011 at 6pm and 8pm
Koforidua: Ma-Dic Royal Plaza On 20th & 21st August, 2011 at 6pm and 8pm
By Ebenezer Anangfio Jnr./GhanaCelebrities.Com/Ghana
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- FOR THOSE IN UK: Afrobeat Returns-Afrobeat Sundays May Bank Holiday Special
- R2Bees Wins ‘Artiste Of The Year’ At The 2013 Vodafone Ghana Music Awards + Full List Of The Winners…
- PHOTOS: Banky W, Wizkid, Bola Ray, Samini, StoneBwoy, R2Bees, Jupita, Ekow Smith Asante & Others At Pre-Vodafone Ghana Music Awards party At Excel Lounge!
- Ghana Music Awards 2013: Winner Of ‘Artistes of the Year’ To Get A New Car
- If R2Bees Wins ‘Artiste Of The Year’ Then Charter House May Redefine That Category + My Predictions For The Vodafone Ghana Music Awards 2013
Latest On BeyondGossip.Com!
- It Has Been Confirmed That Beyonce Is Pregnant Again—Sort Of!
- Rapper Drake Spotted In Miami, Wooing A Blonde Chick
- Tamar Braxton Shuts Down Bleaching Rumour, Reveals Struggle With Vitiligo
- Beyonce Rocks The Stage Against Doctors’ Orders In Belgium & Apologizes Again To The Belgium Crowd On Stage For Show Cancellation
- Dr. Dre Donates $70 Million To USC
- Kelly Rownland Talks About Being Jealous Of Beyonce In New Music ‘Dirty Laundry’
- Actress Angelina Jolie Had Both Of Her Breasts Removed to Prevent Cancer
Latest On IAmSassyChic.Com!
- Are You Suffering From Burnout?
- Reasons Why Women Type Like Thissss ‘Words Elongation’
- Is This One More Reason Why You Should Not Marry? Couples Start Taking Each Other For Granted After Just Three And A Half Years Of Marriage
- Ladies Don’t Know Jack About Valentines
- New Craze…Textured/Velvet Nails: Like it ?
- TopVincent.Com: Are You Losing Yourself To Robots? Get A Real Life With The Real World…
- Research Shows That Women Moan & Scream In Bed Because They Think It Makes ‘Banging’ Better, What The HECK?