2011 was an ‘Azonto’ year. Hate it or love it, it has become a global phenomenon. Its introduction and immediate success opened the floodgate for the rest to follow.
There are many who thinks the introduction of ‘Azonto’ in Ghana has killed good music. I readily concur with them. But I belong to the group of people who thinks that the introduction of ‘Azonto’ has helped in the promotion of Ghana music over the world.
Unlike other form of dances, ‘Azonto’ has become contagious and caught up with everyone, even the white man on the streets of London to the old woman in Chorkor to the Pastor in my church to my little nephew.
Several years ago, Nigerian songs were the toast of Ghanaians. Songs from the most populous nation in Africa were preferred to songs produced in Ghana. For whatever reasons, some Ghanaian musicians started copying blindly the Nigerian accent.
But the introduction of ‘Azonto’ made sure artistes with creativity imbibed in them made hits. No need to sing or rap like a Nigerian to make it. An ‘Azonto’ song was the easiest of all compositions; just get a nice beat, meaningless lyrics with a catchy hook and you are there.
Some of the Azonto songs on the system are from Sarkodie’s ‘You Go Kill Me’ featuring EL to Keche’s ‘Sokode’ to Castro’s ‘Do The Do’ featuring Asamoah Gyan to Guru’s ‘Lapaz Toyota’ to Gasmilla’s ‘Aboodatoi’ to R2Bees’ ‘Agyeiii’ featuring Sarkodie & Nana Boroo to Stay Jay’s ‘Sha She Wowo’ to Eduworji’s ‘Yenko Nkoaa’ featuring Stay Jay to EL’s ‘Obuu Mo’ to 4X4’s ‘Yesi Yesi’ to Buk Bak’s ‘Kolom’
Azonto’s era will pass but do you think it has killed Ghana music? VOTE NOW!
Listen to my all time favourite Azonto below…(Listen to the lyrics)
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- PHOTO OF THE DAY: Lydia Forson
- The Scamming Continues: Miss Universe 2012-Gifty Ofori Stripped Of Her Title After She Exposed Organizers For Not Giving Her The Various Promised Prizes
- PHOTOS From Launch Of ‘Ghana Meets Naija’ Feat. Wizkid, Bola Ray, Edem, Okyeame Kwame, EL, John Dumelo, Juliet Ibrahim & Others
- Celebrity & Law: African Celebrities Who Work Without Permits In USA, UK & Other Countries Face Arrest, Imprisonment & Deportation
- Award-Winning Investigate Journalist-Anas Aremeyaw Anas Warns John Dumelo & Promises To Expose His ‘Dirty Lifestyle’ + What We Know About The Australian Money Issue
Latest On BeyondGossip.Com!
- VIDEO: Ray J Talks About Missing Kim, Him Being Responsible For Her Success & More
- I Never Said Jay-Z Was A ‘Tranny Chaser’ Says Foxy Brown
- New Music: ‘I’m Out ‘ By Ciara ft. Nicki Minaj
- PHOTOS: Nicki Minaj Spotted In NY Looking Miserable
- It Has Been Confirmed That Beyonce Is Pregnant Again—Sort Of!
- Rapper Drake Spotted In Miami, Wooing A Blonde Chick
- Tamar Braxton Shuts Down Bleaching Rumour, Reveals Struggle With Vitiligo
Latest On IAmSassyChic.Com!
- Are You Suffering From Burnout?
- Reasons Why Women Type Like Thissss ‘Words Elongation’
- Is This One More Reason Why You Should Not Marry? Couples Start Taking Each Other For Granted After Just Three And A Half Years Of Marriage
- Ladies Don’t Know Jack About Valentines
- New Craze…Textured/Velvet Nails: Like it ?
- TopVincent.Com: Are You Losing Yourself To Robots? Get A Real Life With The Real World…
- Research Shows That Women Moan & Scream In Bed Because They Think It Makes ‘Banging’ Better, What The HECK?