Former Miss Ghana Benita Sena Golomeke who won the crown in 1997 last Saturday defeated the Deputy Minister of Youth and Sports to pick the ticket to represent the ruling National Democratic Congress [NDC] at the Parliamentary Elections in the 2012 General Elections for Ledzokuku Constituency in the Greater Accra Region.
People in the showbiz industry are considered as not too serious. When professionals in the entertainment industry try to veer off to politics, they are mocked because politics is believe to be for ‘serious’ people.
It is good to know that at least some Ghanaian voters are wise and of age when it comes to voting for people to represent them in Ghana’s parliament.
Now known as Benita Okity-Duah, she also defeated Nii Sowah Boye Sekan, the junior brother of the late Nii Adjei Boye-Sekan, the first MP in the Fourth Republic in the Ledzokuku Constituency.
The Ledzokuku Constituency has been one of the swing constituencies in the Greater Accra Region. The NDC won and maintain the seat with the Late Nii Adjei Boye-Sekan in 1992 and 1996. The NPP also won the seat in the 2000 Parliamentary Elections with Mr. Edward Akita and managed to keep it in 2004 with Dr. Gladys Norley Ashitey. The current MP, Nii Nortey Dua regained the seat for the NDC in 2008.
In other related news, Actor Wakefield Ackuaku lost his bid to unseat incumbent and Greater Accra Region Minister Nii
Armah Ashietey to represent the NDC at the Klottey Korle Constituency as he managed to pull only 24 votes.
The incumbent retain his seat with 277 votes, two others Leeford Kpakpo Quarshie and Frank Edmund Awuku obtained 27 and 54 votes respectively.
In the same elections, comedian cum actor Fredric Fritz Baffour retained his Ablekuma South Constituency by defeating two others.
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- Ghanaian Lady Who Tried to Smuggle 12 Kilos of Cocaine into London Has Been on Wanted List Since 2009 in Ghana & Yet She Was Everywhere in Ghana Without Any Arrest?
- Austrian Newspaper Says The Ghanaian Lady Arrested At Heathrow With Cocaine Worth Over 5 Million Dollars Must Be STUPID | And We Agree…
- Starr 103.5 FM Wins An Award Just 4-Months into Business
- Comedy of Errors: Man Attempts to Sell Stolen Goods Back to Its OWNER, Gets Arrested
- Maurice Ampaw Decides to Withdraw Case Against A-Plus After Meeting Between the Two