With the likes of Kyeiwaa real name Rose Mensah, Ebenezer Donkor, aka Katawere and many others all having a smooth transition from television series to movie stars, one would have thought that Adwoa Smart, real name Belinda Oku for all her talent and versatility would have joined the bandwagon too.
But she has decided to stay away from that for the moment, not because she has not received offers but she’s decided to wage a crusade against low-paying producers by turning down movie roles offered her.
Explaining her absence from the movie scene to Showbiz last Monday, Adwoa Smart said it was not as a result of not being offered roles by producers but because she has decided not to feature in movies literally for free.
“Yes, it’s been a while since I featured in a movie but it’s a personal crusade I’m embarking against cheap labour or low pay,” was the apt response she gave when Showbiz wanted to find out why she had not featured in movies.
According to Adwoa Smart, “ most producers treat some of us actors and actresses as if they were doing us a favour by making some popular in their works. Gone are those days when we wanted to feature in a movie because we understood times were challenging then.
“ Now things have changed for the better, producers still want to take actors and actresses for a ride but it’s about time producers paid actors well to give off their best. I am a versatile actress who fits in any role given to me, but I wouldn’t take just any money knowing how much I’m worth.
“ I’ve gone past that stage of clamouring for popularity. I’ve decided that if the monetary offer that comes with the role is not good, enough then it’s not worth it,” Adwoa Smart who shot to fame through the popular Obra series, said as a matter of fact.
Although she didn’t disclose how much she wants to be paid, Adwoa Smart who has featured in movies like Yaa Asantewaa, Shout at the Devil and Aware So said producers know how much an actor should earn so it’s just unfair when producers pay less than what they know they should pay.
Apart from the pay not being enough, Adwoa Smart added that what has kept her off the screen is the fact that when you are often seen everywhere, people become fed up with you. Although in her 40s and still not married, an issue that is of bother to most women her age, Adwoa Smart said she was the least worried about her marital status as she was still waiting for God’s appointed time.
She insists her single status is not due to want of a partner as she has received a lot of proposals but has had to turn them down because she’s waiting upon God to point out her real soul mate or partner.
“There are a lot of men who actually want to settle down with me, but I am taking my time to choose the best out of them so that I don’t make a mistake” Adwoa told Showbiz.
In her 40’s and though diminutive, Adwoa Smart of Obra, Efiewura and Efi Sem fame, maintains she is a woman of substance who can make a perfect wife for a good man if she finds him. “People have so many misconceptions about some of us in the entertainment industry but we are human beings first and I say that I’ve not lost any of the values I was brought up with – serviceable, respectful and loving. I like to take care of my home and that is the kind of wife I’d be.
Asked who is her ideal man, Adwoa said though she was not fussy, for the sake of her children, she’d love her man to be a tall, handsome man who is willing to be by her side no matter the odds. “I am a short person and so I would want to date preferably, a tall man so that our children would probably not be like me.”
She disclosed to Showbiz that, she has not really been in a serious relationship after separating from her first love whom she got pregnant for 22 years ago.
“After my divorce, I went out with two men but I quit the relationship because I realized the men weren’t serious. No man has dumped me before, normally I am the first to quit the relationship before they even think of doing it.” she said chin high.Wondering what she is doing at the moment? Adwoa says she owns a shop apart from featuring in Obra and Efiewura.
Source: Graphic Showbiz
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- PHOTOS From Miss Ghana 2012 1st Runner-Up Nadia Ntanu’s India Visit
- Wizkid Promises An Exciting Performance At ‘Ghana Meets Naija’ On June 29
- DO YOU KNOW THAT: Beauty Isn't Just Skin Deep? Scientists Say Pretty Women Tend To Be 'Less Stressed And More Fertile'
- FOR THE LADIES: Submerging Your Face In CUCUMBER Water Every Day Is Kate Moss’ Beauty Secret…Are Your Read To Do That?
- ALL THE PHOTOS From Ghanaian/Nigerian Actress Ebi Bright’s Birthday Party Feat. Abdul Sallam, Pascaline Edwards, Beverly Afaglo, Richie & Others
Latest On BeyondGossip.Com!
- It Has Been Confirmed That Beyonce Is Pregnant Again—Sort Of!
- Rapper Drake Spotted In Miami, Wooing A Blonde Chick
- Tamar Braxton Shuts Down Bleaching Rumour, Reveals Struggle With Vitiligo
- Beyonce Rocks The Stage Against Doctors’ Orders In Belgium & Apologizes Again To The Belgium Crowd On Stage For Show Cancellation
- Dr. Dre Donates $70 Million To USC
- Kelly Rownland Talks About Being Jealous Of Beyonce In New Music ‘Dirty Laundry’
- Actress Angelina Jolie Had Both Of Her Breasts Removed to Prevent Cancer
Latest On IAmSassyChic.Com!
- Are You Suffering From Burnout?
- Reasons Why Women Type Like Thissss ‘Words Elongation’
- Is This One More Reason Why You Should Not Marry? Couples Start Taking Each Other For Granted After Just Three And A Half Years Of Marriage
- Ladies Don’t Know Jack About Valentines
- New Craze…Textured/Velvet Nails: Like it ?
- TopVincent.Com: Are You Losing Yourself To Robots? Get A Real Life With The Real World…
- Research Shows That Women Moan & Scream In Bed Because They Think It Makes ‘Banging’ Better, What The HECK?