Tributes are being paid to one of Africa’s leading cartoonists, Ghanaian-born Frank Odoi, who died over the weekend in Kenya’s capital, Nairobi.
He was killed in a traffic accident involving a minibus tax, known as a matatu, on Saturday but his family only learnt of his death on Monday.
His Driving Me Crazy comic strip that tackled the subject of the matatu’s notoriously reckless driving.
Mr Odoi, 64, moved to Nairobi in the 1970s and worked there ever since.
Golgoti – white man in Africa
Mr Odoi was one of two passengers to die when the matatu in which they were travelling veered off the road into a ditch on Saturday.
When the cartoonist did not return home over the weekend, family members searched all the hospitals before finding his body in a Nairobi mortuary on Monday morning.
Mr Odoi was one of the first visual artists to be given a daily slot in Kenya’s Daily Nation newspaper about 30 years ago – and he has dominated the Kenyan artistic scene ever since.
His work – fiction and political commentary – was also featured in newspapers all over Africa and the BBC’s Focus on Africa magazine.
He was most famous for his Golgoti series, about a white man who comes to Africa, and Akokhan, the tale of two centuries-old squabbling men which was based on the folklore of his native Ghana.
News of this death broke on Monday evening in Kenya.
Fellow cartoonist Paul “Maddo” Kelemba, who was a fellow director of the media company Four Dimension Innovative, was among those to pay tribute to his colleague.
“Looking at the empty desk in the corner and expecting to see Frank has been very difficult, disturbing and has made us very angry,” Mr Kelemba told the BBC’s Focus on Africa programme.
“It is so sad that he met his end at the hands of the matatus which were the subject of his comic strip,” he said.
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- R2Bees Wins ‘Artiste Of The Year’ At The 2013 Vodafone Ghana Music Awards + Full List Of The Winners…
- PHOTOS: Banky W, Wizkid, Bola Ray, Samini, StoneBwoy, R2Bees, Jupita, Ekow Smith Asante & Others At Pre-Vodafone Ghana Music Awards party At Excel Lounge!
- Ghana Music Awards 2013: Winner Of ‘Artistes of the Year’ To Get A New Car
- If R2Bees Wins ‘Artiste Of The Year’ Then Charter House May Redefine That Category + My Predictions For The Vodafone Ghana Music Awards 2013
- VIDEO: E.L Talks About What He Meant When He Said He Is No Longer Doing Any Collaborations With Ghanaian Rappers
Latest On BeyondGossip.Com!
- It Has Been Confirmed That Beyonce Is Pregnant Again—Sort Of!
- Rapper Drake Spotted In Miami, Wooing A Blonde Chick
- Tamar Braxton Shuts Down Bleaching Rumour, Reveals Struggle With Vitiligo
- Beyonce Rocks The Stage Against Doctors’ Orders In Belgium & Apologizes Again To The Belgium Crowd On Stage For Show Cancellation
- Dr. Dre Donates $70 Million To USC
- Kelly Rownland Talks About Being Jealous Of Beyonce In New Music ‘Dirty Laundry’
- Actress Angelina Jolie Had Both Of Her Breasts Removed to Prevent Cancer
Latest On IAmSassyChic.Com!
- Are You Suffering From Burnout?
- Reasons Why Women Type Like Thissss ‘Words Elongation’
- Is This One More Reason Why You Should Not Marry? Couples Start Taking Each Other For Granted After Just Three And A Half Years Of Marriage
- Ladies Don’t Know Jack About Valentines
- New Craze…Textured/Velvet Nails: Like it ?
- TopVincent.Com: Are You Losing Yourself To Robots? Get A Real Life With The Real World…
- Research Shows That Women Moan & Scream In Bed Because They Think It Makes ‘Banging’ Better, What The HECK?