Legendary Ghanaian Musician Gyedu Blay Ambolley who has substantial knowledge in music seems extremely worried about the path the Ghanaian music industry is being pushed unto by so called musicians as well as the organizers of the prestigious Ghana Music Awards.
From his recent interview with XFM, you can quickly deduct that, indeed the man understands and lives music-Ghana music.
Speaking on Ghana music, he noted the false representation certain individuals who are supposed to be mere ‘Rappers’ in association with the Ghanaian media are peddling, calling the latter ‘Musicians’ when in fact they are mere ‘Rappers’.
Before coming to the above point, he mentioned that the organizers of Ghana Music Awards should let the activities and craft of the annual award scheme embrace the various genres of Ghanaian music, especially the traditional music.
‘If you say Ghana Music Awards it means that you would have to bring the traditional musicians also in there. You have to bring the Folklores in there as well as those in the North. You would have to bring them all in’ he said.
He added that, the award scheme is more of a hiplife award scheme than a Ghanaian award scheme since it alienates the true Ghanaian highlife musicians to the background whiles championing the cause of the ‘hiplifers’.
This is how he puts it; ‘If you look at that genre I think that they would have to call it Hiplife Music Awards because everything that we do is basically more of Hiplife than what we have here as highlife or traditional form of music’
I think he makes a lot of sense in his deduction! What about you?
Listen to the audio below for more:
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- THE BIG DEBATE: Do You Agree Music is Superior/Master Over All Forms Of Creative Arts – Are The Rest – Writing, Acting, Modeling, Painting, Etc. SERVANTS to Music?
- PHOTOS OF THE DAY: Sandra Ankobiah, Yvonne Nelson, Becca, Joselyn Dumas, John Dumelo & Others
- OPINION: Nigerians Confidently Speak Fluent But Bad English | Whilst Ghanaians Timidly Speak Good English But Not Fluent
- Miss Universe Ghana | Still in the Mess…Is this a Ghanaian Costume?
- Kwaw Kese Refuses Twitter Invitation to SMOKE WEED Following Black Stars Victory…