Did you know that avocados have amazing health benefits? We love avocados and we make sure to have at least one a day. Unfortunately, there are some misconceptions about this fruit, so we thought we’d take this opportunity to set the record straight. At the same time, we will be highlighting many of the avocadoshealth benefits.
The avocado is a tree native to Puebla, Mexico and is classified in the flowering plant family Lauraceae. Avocado also refers to the fruit (which is a large berry that contains a large seed) of the tree. They are a commercially valuable fruit and are cultivated in tropical climates throughout the world (and some temperate ones, such as California) producing a green-skinned, pear-shaped fruit that ripens after harvesting. Cultivating fruit can take up to 4-6 years from seed.
1. Avocados are high in fat and that makes them very high in calories
Contrary to popular assumptions, the avocado can be a helpful part of a successful weight-management program. Its monounsaturated fat speeds up the basal metabolic rate, as compared with saturated fat. Its rich supply of vitamins and minerals also makes the diet more wholesome and satisfying and thus more conducive to overall health and to moderation in consumption. Its high fat content gives a quicker feeling of fullness, thus helping to reduce overeating; and it also makes an overall sound diet more palatable, reducing the temptation to binge on foods high in sugars or saturated fats.
2. Avocados are high in fat and therefore bad for the heart
While avocados are high in fat, they have been shown to maintain good cholesterol while reducing bad cholesterol. The reason for which avocado is considered so effective when it comes to lowering the cholesterol levels is because it is a great source of heart-healthy monounsaturated fat. The avocado fat is a type of fat that actually lowers the LDL levels (the “bad” cholesterol) while raising the levels of the HDL (the “good” cholesterol) which protect the arteries.
Various Health Benefits
Proteins are made of amino acids. There are 22 different amino acids that combine in various sequences to form all proteins. The human body is capable of manufacturing some of these amino acids, but the remaining ones must be obtained through the diet. These amino acids are called the “essential amino acids”. The avocado is a “complete food” in terms of protein, containing all 8 essential amino acids.
The avocado contains large amounts of both soluble and insoluble fiber. These fibers are important for overall digestive health because they work together to prevent problems and to keep things moving smoothly….Continue Reading From Here
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- PHOTOS: It's Stephanie Karikari...Miss Ghana 2010/2011 So Don't Mistake Her For A Night Adabraka Worker
- PHOTO OF THE DAY: On Africa Union Day...See How SMART Our Leaders Are...
- On African Union Day: Nigeria Suffers Fuel Shortage Whilst Ghana Wallows In Dumsor | Where Is This Continent Going?
- READERS' MAIL: The Hypocrisy & Thievery Nature of Ghanaians | The CEO of Red Row Estate Joined Yvonne Nelson for Dumsor Vigil When His Estate Runs On ECG Illegal Connections…
- Who's Lying? Security Guard At the Red Row Estate Confirms the Entire Estate Has Been Disconnected But Management Says Only 12 of Their Houses Had the Illegal Connection