So the other day I was out with some friends and we were reminiscing about our primary school days in Ghana and one friend expressed concern about something that was surprisingly ‘funny’ and quite sad at the same time. The issue of dyslexia in Africa.
According my 23 year old friend, she had problems with reading and memorizing words both in school and in Sunday school, which landed her into a lot of trouble back in the days. In school, she was excessively caned for being a lazy student, though she genuinely tried her best to study, she just couldn’t get anything to stick in her brain.
At church, she was called a witch for not being able to read Bible verses, let alone memorized them. All of Which led to a lot of bullying from her pals, and eventually causing her to hate school, church and anything that had to do with books and consequently lost the motivation to even try.
At age 13, she relocated to Europe with her family and within a period of 2 months of starting school, her class teacher figured out that she could be dyslexic, so she got tested for it and her teacher was right.
With a little help with organizing her notes and much practice, she just graduated from nursing school at the top of her class. Though my friend’s story had a happy ending, I can’t help by wondering, what if she didn’t relocate?
How many more kids could be suffering with dyslexia in Africa? How many kids have been called witches, wizards, dumb and other discriminative words because they could be dyslexic? What should our governments do about the situation?? Let’s help bring awareness to this issue…
What other things do you think we misconstrue for witchcraft in Africa?
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- Sparrow Station Is LIVE | Watch ‘Big For Nothing’, Peep, Adams Apples Season 2 & All The Sparrow Movies On There NOW!
- New Music Video: 'Come Closer' By Fuse ODG Feat. Wande Coal
- The Power Of BOOBIE JOB | Confidence Haugen In Focus-Do You Think She Needed It?
- OPENED GOSSIP: Which Ghanaian Female Bisexual Musician Is CHOPPING DOWN The Wife Of A Ghanaian Football Star?
- Can You Imagine The Meaning of ‘INTERNATIONAL’ In Ghana’s Showbiz?
Latest On BeyondGossip.Com!
- Oprah Winfrey Says She Has No Regrets About Not Having Kids
- Mike Tyson Has Cancelled His Book Signing Tour in UK Because He Is Barred From Britain Over Rape Conviction
- Kim Kardashian Says Her BODY Is Back As She Covers US Weekly
- Rapper-The Game Honours Nelson Mandela With A New Tattoo
- Kanye West Says Being A Rapper Is Dangerous, Just Like A Cop Or Being At War
- PHOTOS: Keri Hilson Celebrates Her 31st Birthday With T-Pain & Others
- The Vivacious Braxton Sisters Grace The Cover Of Hype Hair
Latest On IAmSassyChic.Com!
- How To Maintain Your Skin During The Festive Period
- How To Date Someone With Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI)
- Everything You Should Know About Your Bra
- How To Lose Weight Before Christmas Day!
- How To Overcome Wardrobe Malfunction
- Staying Younger Even When Age Knocks At Your Door
- How To Win Your First Date