Doctor, Lawyer, Engineer, Entrepreneur, Nurse…. These are the top five prestigious careers that many of our African parents harp on. It would be a travesty if an individual were to deviate.
Did you choose your career or your parents? In college, graduate school and the work place, I often came across young African’s who were distraught about their careers.
During discussions, it was evident that it was a matter of pleasing one’s parents than actually being happy.
Furthermore, it seemed difficult for these individuals to confront their parents about the issue. Many feared that they would disappoint their families and not live up to the standards their parents envisioned.
Let us also not forget the ‘The Golden Handcuffs’. A broad term that is used amongst students that are enslaved to high paying careers in order to pay back school loan debt- whether one enjoys the job or not.
So I asked “What career would you have chosen?” In response, I was told, “Teacher, Painter, Fashion Designer, Social Worker, Counselor, Dental Hygienist, Dietician, and Paralegal”.
Though these careers may be underrated; at least these individuals were honest with themselves. They would rather use their gifts and talents to live a fulfilling life than a desperate one.
Personally, I believe in living on purpose. I have been very direct with my parents when I entered college that I refuse to live out their dreams but rather mine.
So, are you happy with your career? Would you change your career if you could reverse time?
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- UPDATE: Police Promises to Clamp Down On Organizers of MISS SUPRANATIONAL GHANA
- New Music: 'Tina’ By Fuse ODG Ft. Angel
- Kofi Okyere Darko-KOD and Wife End Their 6 Years Marriage? | Certain Social Media Activity of KOD Was the Last Straw that Broke the Camel’s Back?
- “WHO IS RIHANNA?” New York Judge Says He Doesn’t Know Who Rihanna Is When Her Stalker Appeared in Court
- Another Beauty Pageant Saga: MISS SUPRANATIONAL GHANA in Scandalous Allegations | Some Contestants Want to Exit But Organizers Say No