Following on both from the ‘fake article’ and the ‘Dark skin vrs Light skin article’, I have decided to talk about black women’s hair. I have relaxed hair that is a bit past my shoulders, that is what I feel most comfortable with.
I have never done weave because my scalp is quite sensitive and even with “rasta” plaits, my scalp will erupt into itchiness and soreness.
Here in London there is a growing movement of black women who are going back to their natural afro hair from weaves or relaxation, citing the chemicals present in relaxers, and the stress placed upon the scalp by weave and lace fronts as reasons.
Some of them are controversially claiming that women who don’t rock their afros have not pride in their Africanism, and are basing their self esteem on looking like Caucasian women.
Hmmm, while I think this is an extreme point of view, there are studies that have shown that black women express dissatisfaction with themselves from an early age when they play with dolls that have Caucasian type hair.
Clearly we are influenced by what we see, and if the majority of women have weave/relaxed hair, that is what they will think is beautiful.
To some extent, I think the view that long straight hair is far attractive than afro or short hair is also propagated in Ghana schools where girls are disallowed complex hairstyles and have a rule of short “boyish” afro hair so that they can “concentrate on their studies” and not be “distracted” by boys, or beauty.
I can think of only one or two of our female Ghanaian, and indeed West African celebrities who do not wear weave, often the longer, the better.
Time is changing and a lot of young women are finding cuteness, realism and their roots in natural hair. Would you consider going back to natural hair? I am considering it…
For the men, what do you find attractive? Natural hair or the fake weave being paraded around?
If you are considering Natural/Afro Hair like me, check out the below products
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- Blogging Is The New BIG Thing, A New Way To Make REAL Money Online-Start Your Own Blog Today For FREE
- BG: It Has Been Confirmed That Beyonce Is Pregnant Again—Sort Of!
- And The Winner Is...Miss Universe 2013 Seems Like A BIG JOKE
- HEALTH & LIFESTYLE: Is What You Are Eating, Eating You?
- ANNOUNCEMENT: Entertainment & Fashion INTERNS Wanted!
Latest On BeyondGossip.Com!
- It Has Been Confirmed That Beyonce Is Pregnant Again—Sort Of!
- Rapper Drake Spotted In Miami, Wooing A Blonde Chick
- Tamar Braxton Shuts Down Bleaching Rumour, Reveals Struggle With Vitiligo
- Beyonce Rocks The Stage Against Doctors’ Orders In Belgium & Apologizes Again To The Belgium Crowd On Stage For Show Cancellation
- Dr. Dre Donates $70 Million To USC
- Kelly Rownland Talks About Being Jealous Of Beyonce In New Music ‘Dirty Laundry’
- Actress Angelina Jolie Had Both Of Her Breasts Removed to Prevent Cancer
Latest On IAmSassyChic.Com!
- Are You Suffering From Burnout?
- Reasons Why Women Type Like Thissss ‘Words Elongation’
- Is This One More Reason Why You Should Not Marry? Couples Start Taking Each Other For Granted After Just Three And A Half Years Of Marriage
- Ladies Don’t Know Jack About Valentines
- New Craze…Textured/Velvet Nails: Like it ?
- TopVincent.Com: Are You Losing Yourself To Robots? Get A Real Life With The Real World…
- Research Shows That Women Moan & Scream In Bed Because They Think It Makes ‘Banging’ Better, What The HECK?