Following on both from the ‘fake article’ and the ‘Dark skin vrs Light skin article’, I have decided to talk about black women’s hair. I have relaxed hair that is a bit past my shoulders, that is what I feel most comfortable with.
I have never done weave because my scalp is quite sensitive and even with “rasta” plaits, my scalp will erupt into itchiness and soreness.
Here in London there is a growing movement of black women who are going back to their natural afro hair from weaves or relaxation, citing the chemicals present in relaxers, and the stress placed upon the scalp by weave and lace fronts as reasons.
Some of them are controversially claiming that women who don’t rock their afros have not pride in their Africanism, and are basing their self esteem on looking like Caucasian women.
Hmmm, while I think this is an extreme point of view, there are studies that have shown that black women express dissatisfaction with themselves from an early age when they play with dolls that have Caucasian type hair.
Clearly we are influenced by what we see, and if the majority of women have weave/relaxed hair, that is what they will think is beautiful.
To some extent, I think the view that long straight hair is far attractive than afro or short hair is also propagated in Ghana schools where girls are disallowed complex hairstyles and have a rule of short “boyish” afro hair so that they can “concentrate on their studies” and not be “distracted” by boys, or beauty.
I can think of only one or two of our female Ghanaian, and indeed West African celebrities who do not wear weave, often the longer, the better.
Time is changing and a lot of young women are finding cuteness, realism and their roots in natural hair. Would you consider going back to natural hair? I am considering it…
For the men, what do you find attractive? Natural hair or the fake weave being paraded around?
If you are considering Natural/Afro Hair like me, check out the below products
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- FOKN Bois Returns With Coz Ov Moni Part 2 | Watch The Trailer Below + The Whole Of Part 1
- PHOTOS From The 2013 AfricaMagic Viewers’ Choice Awards (AMVCAs) Nominations Ceremony | Feat. Yvonne Okoro, Majid Michel, Sandra Ankobiah, Joselyn Dumas, Karen Igho & Others…
- THE BIG QUESTION: Would You Give Your Man A ‘HALL PASS’?
- DID SHE REALLY SAY THAT? Juliet Ibrahim Says She 'Receives More Favours Because Of Her Fair Complexion' | No Wonder Yvonne Nelson & Others Are Bleaching Their Lives Away
- If You Are Looking For A ‘Good Girl’, Stay Away From The Social Media JUNKIES
Latest On BeyondGossip.Com!
- PHOTOS: Keri Hilson Celebrates Her 31st Birthday With T-Pain & Others
- The Vivacious Braxton Sisters Grace The Cover Of Hype Hair
- Gabrielle Union Looking Super FAB At The Alvin Ailey 2013 Opening Night Gala
- Mariah Carey Looking ‘Christmasly’ Naughty & Cute As She Performs At Rockefeller Center
- Terrence Howard Secretly Marries Girlfriend After One Month Of Dating?
- Detective Says Paul Walker’s Car Was Going 90 MPH In A 45 MPH Speed Zone At Time Of Fatal Crash!
- Kanye West Signs $10 Million Deal With Adidas
Latest On IAmSassyChic.Com!
- How To Date Someone With Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI)
- Everything You Should Know About Your Bra
- How To Lose Weight Before Christmas Day!
- How To Overcome Wardrobe Malfunction
- Staying Younger Even When Age Knocks At Your Door
- How To Win Your First Date
- Secrets Your Man Would Not Want You To Know