I am sure this article will definitely get many readers attention. I hope so because it would be an opportunity for individual self-reflection. As an African female I have experienced many racial events in my life.
The first unforgettable racial event was as a teenager working as a cashier in a department store. Upon paying for items, many Caucasian people would place their cash or credit card on the counter instead of my hand.
Another event was also amongst clients in the workplace. Due to my facial features and accent, many African American clients would ask me where I am from. Once I tell them I am a Ghanaian, I am often asked if it is true Africans live in trees, are destitute, and walk around naked.
Lastly, I was in the home of an associate and I saw insects coming through the door. Personally I am deathly afraid of insects. As a result, I screamed and ran to hide. The associate came running as I told her that there were insects in her home. In response, she asks me “Aren’t you African?” I was so upset I left.
In my infuriation, I pondered if I have ever discriminated towards an individual or people. Unfortunately, I was guilty. I was ashamed of myself as I remembered the times I would tell my friends that Asians are the worse drivers and that Africans are smarter than other ethnicities.
It was worse when I remembered that I never corrected my friends for their racial comments as they would say that all African Americans are lazy, uneducated, welfare recipients.
Despite living in a world that racism is a terrible disease and inevitable; I am determined to transform my mind regarding my thoughts and kill hate with kindness.
So far I have been doing very well. We are all part of the human race; a colorful rainbow of people. Are you racist?
Racism (race discrimination) in simply terms refers to treating a person or group of persons less favorable than others in similar circumstances because of their race. It stretches to comments and even omission to act.
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- Sparrow Station Is LIVE | Watch ‘Big For Nothing’, Peep, Adams Apples Season 2 & All The Sparrow Movies On There NOW!
- New Music Video: 'Come Closer' By Fuse ODG Feat. Wande Coal
- The Power Of BOOBIE JOB | Confidence Haugen In Focus-Do You Think She Needed It?
- OPENED GOSSIP: Which Ghanaian Female Bisexual Musician Is CHOPPING DOWN The Wife Of A Ghanaian Football Star?
- Can You Imagine The Meaning of ‘INTERNATIONAL’ In Ghana’s Showbiz?
Latest On BeyondGossip.Com!
- Oprah Winfrey Says She Has No Regrets About Not Having Kids
- Mike Tyson Has Cancelled His Book Signing Tour in UK Because He Is Barred From Britain Over Rape Conviction
- Kim Kardashian Says Her BODY Is Back As She Covers US Weekly
- Rapper-The Game Honours Nelson Mandela With A New Tattoo
- Kanye West Says Being A Rapper Is Dangerous, Just Like A Cop Or Being At War
- PHOTOS: Keri Hilson Celebrates Her 31st Birthday With T-Pain & Others
- The Vivacious Braxton Sisters Grace The Cover Of Hype Hair
Latest On IAmSassyChic.Com!
- How To Maintain Your Skin During The Festive Period
- How To Date Someone With Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI)
- Everything You Should Know About Your Bra
- How To Lose Weight Before Christmas Day!
- How To Overcome Wardrobe Malfunction
- Staying Younger Even When Age Knocks At Your Door
- How To Win Your First Date