“The buzz is immense” was the refrain of the event’s official twitter page, and it certainly was, as over 50 designers and probably around 10000 guests and customers descended on Spitalfields for the 2nd annual Africa Fashion Week London.
The exhibition part of the two days fashion event worked very well. There were over 50 stalls of businesses displaying their wares, from the typical wax print dresses to the wax print/kente shoes, bags and earrings, of which I bought a few good pairs, to black hair stalls, black skincare stalls, and of course, African food stalls (from the queues outside those stalls, I bet they chopped the most money).
The series of fashion shows were wonderful in that they showed the variety of clothes, accessories and outfits springing from the African continent. The stereotypical bright colours of West African wax print and East African kitenge were not the predominant material, there were beautifully structured designs, wonderfully elegant dresses and sharply tailored original shirts and mens outfits that I think can rival the big fashion houses today.
Many of the designers were of Nigerian origin (the chief organiser and show organiser being Nigerian and many of the media partners being Nigerian), but there was a mix of designers from all over Africa, I was wowed by a particular fashion house’s designs, and even more so to find to find that they are based in Ethiopia. Ghana was well represented by Kiki Clothing and House of Adjeiwaah, the latter of which opened the show on the 2nd day.
Speaking to Menaye Donkor afterwards on the Saturday, she agreed, and said how much she enjoys representing African fashion and she is proud of how far it is going. She agreed when I referred to her extensive modelling experience in New York, London and Milan and suggested that African fashion is more than ready to take them on.
Menaye further told GhanaCelebrities.Com that she is committed to lending her support to African fashion and is excited to see how it is taking the world by storm
A few minor points of contention-while Spitalfields was great for the exhibition part, I’m not convinced that it worked for the fashion shows-seating was only available for VIP guests (£50 a ticket) and the press stage was tiny-there was about 50 of us crammed on a three platform short stage.
I think for next year, Spitalfields should be kept as the exhibition venue, while the fashion shows be moved to last year’s posh venue Bishopsgate, or a similar hotel type venue.
Check out the videos below to get the feel of how things went!
GhanaCelebrities.Com talks to Menaye Donkor
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- Blogging Is The New BIG Thing, A New Way To Make REAL Money Online-Start Your Own Blog Today For FREE
- BG: It Has Been Confirmed That Beyonce Is Pregnant Again—Sort Of!
- And The Winner Is...Miss Universe 2013 Seems Like A BIG JOKE
- HEALTH & LIFESTYLE: Is What You Are Eating, Eating You?
- ANNOUNCEMENT: Entertainment & Fashion INTERNS Wanted!
Latest On BeyondGossip.Com!
- It Has Been Confirmed That Beyonce Is Pregnant Again—Sort Of!
- Rapper Drake Spotted In Miami, Wooing A Blonde Chick
- Tamar Braxton Shuts Down Bleaching Rumour, Reveals Struggle With Vitiligo
- Beyonce Rocks The Stage Against Doctors’ Orders In Belgium & Apologizes Again To The Belgium Crowd On Stage For Show Cancellation
- Dr. Dre Donates $70 Million To USC
- Kelly Rownland Talks About Being Jealous Of Beyonce In New Music ‘Dirty Laundry’
- Actress Angelina Jolie Had Both Of Her Breasts Removed to Prevent Cancer
Latest On IAmSassyChic.Com!
- Are You Suffering From Burnout?
- Reasons Why Women Type Like Thissss ‘Words Elongation’
- Is This One More Reason Why You Should Not Marry? Couples Start Taking Each Other For Granted After Just Three And A Half Years Of Marriage
- Ladies Don’t Know Jack About Valentines
- New Craze…Textured/Velvet Nails: Like it ?
- TopVincent.Com: Are You Losing Yourself To Robots? Get A Real Life With The Real World…
- Research Shows That Women Moan & Scream In Bed Because They Think It Makes ‘Banging’ Better, What The HECK?