As you may know online dating is one of the fastest growing enterprise out there. Over the years, it has gained huge popularity and acceptance . But the big question is should we trust it?
In the light of increasing cyber fraud and murder such as the recent tragic story of Cynthia Udoka Osokogu, the Nigerian girl who got murdered by a couple of her facebook friends, I am most certain I will get a chorus of “nos” to the above question.
But conversely, there would be that cross section of people who would say “Hell yeah” to on-line dating and would not mind the risk factors involved at all.
To these people, life is all about risk. I am still up in the air whether or not online dating is the “right way” to meet people and I am sure many of you are too.
How do you know, when we’re communicating via the web that you aren’t really talking to some scammer in a dark internet café who only wants to get money out of you — or even worse, a serial killer, how do we know if the phots and information posted are even real?
It is quite unfortunate this advice came too late for Cynthia. Cynthia is gone but we know her story may save several lives.
If you are one of those who feel online dating is another viable way to meet that wonderful person you want, here are some tips I gathered for you:
Don’t Trust Anyone Too Soon- Online dating offers a decent amount of anonymity if used correctly. But don’t forget, the same amount of anonymity also applies to everyone else you chat with online. Be patient. Get to know someone well before you start sharing your personal feelings… and information.
Verify the site- Make sure the dating site you decide to join enforces some kind of verification check on its members. This will greatly increase the quality of genuine singles you are likely to meet. Many dating sites are infested with scammers who prey on inexperienced online daters. When a verification process is in place, this is a big deterrent for fraud members.
Pay to play- During your love hunt, you will come across options offering free and paid site access. The paid sites usually require verification for members, so you need to weigh up the pros and cons as to whether you should go with a free site or a subscription site.
There are software programs some dating sites use that verify credit card details, address, age and other statistics including criminal checks. However, all the checks in the world will not guarantee your safety; the ultimate responsibility comes down to you and your sensible decisions.
Other important features a dating site should include is a “report abuse” option, and the ability to block undesirable advances from other members. This is a simple and effective means of protection. Site administrators also rely on their members to alert them if any kind of harassment is going on. In some cases, this will result in the cancellation of the perpetrator’s membership.
The greater portion of singles who use online dating sites are genuine, regular guys and gals who are seeking relationships with people they share common interests with. But as with anything in life, there will always be someone who tries to spoil the fun. Use the following tips to avoid becoming a victim.
Q. Should I include my personal details on my online dating profile?
A. No. Never. Your profile should be a general description about your dating requirements, also include some hobbies — never display addresses or phone numbers.
Q. How do I go about meeting an online friend for an offline date?
A. Only agree to an offline date if you feel the timing is right, don’t get pressured if you are not ready. Always meet in a public environment. Alert someone you know as to your location, and inform him or her when your date is finished. Don’t forget to prepare an exit strategy, just in case your date is not what you expected.
When dating online, your own common sense and intuition can lead you to meet someone genuine and fantastic. Be guided by that little voice inside your head and take that bold leap! If you have more tips feel free to send them.
Anyway, what is your take on online dating? Have you tried it? Did it ever work for you? What has your experience been?
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- Who Is My Celebrity DAD?
- Foreigners Are Stealing Ghana’s Folkloric Arts ‘Free of Charge’
- John Dumelo Is Still Talking & This Time, He Says He Wants To Be The President Of Ghana
- Sparrow Station Is LIVE | Watch ‘Big For Nothing’, Peep, Adams Apples Season 2 & All The Sparrow Movies On There NOW!
- New Music Video: 'Come Closer' By Fuse ODG Feat. Wande Coal
Latest On BeyondGossip.Com!
- Oprah Winfrey Says She Has No Regrets About Not Having Kids
- Mike Tyson Has Cancelled His Book Signing Tour in UK Because He Is Barred From Britain Over Rape Conviction
- Kim Kardashian Says Her BODY Is Back As She Covers US Weekly
- Rapper-The Game Honours Nelson Mandela With A New Tattoo
- Kanye West Says Being A Rapper Is Dangerous, Just Like A Cop Or Being At War
- PHOTOS: Keri Hilson Celebrates Her 31st Birthday With T-Pain & Others
- The Vivacious Braxton Sisters Grace The Cover Of Hype Hair
Latest On IAmSassyChic.Com!
- How To Maintain Your Skin During The Festive Period
- How To Date Someone With Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI)
- Everything You Should Know About Your Bra
- How To Lose Weight Before Christmas Day!
- How To Overcome Wardrobe Malfunction
- Staying Younger Even When Age Knocks At Your Door
- How To Win Your First Date