So now that the Paralympics have started, I can’t help wondering if, when they end, there will be a rush of African athletes absconding from the Paralympics camps, intending to seek a permanent residency in UK, like what happened with African Olympics teams.
I can definitely tell you that there is a big shift in the other direction, of many Ghanaian youth, raised abroad, who are thinking of going AWOL in Europe/America and coming to Ghana.
I think the recession in Europe and America have had a big part to play in this… this led to massive lack of jobs for graduates and youngsters, and of course, ethnic minority youth are suffering more than the indigenous ones due to institutional racism, lack of social mobility and other factors.
Many of the youth are also business/entrepreneurial minded, and are relishing the new economical and industry growth happening in Africa and are hoping to contribute to that.
Others are hoping to leave a mark in their chosen careers that would be difficult to do in Europe or America with much competition for university spaces, jobs, and positions of distinction.
Here in London, there have been several groups, networks and events targeted at the Ghanaian diaspora, many increasingly focused on business and professional opportunities in Ghana for settlers/resettlers.
There is no place like home, like the English say, and many Abrokyire-born youth are increasingly taking that motto to heart.
Are you an Abrokyire-based youth or individual who is currently aiming to, or seriously thinking about settling/re-settling in Ghana?
I am definitely considering this…What has your experience been out here and what are your expectations of Ghana?
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- PHOTOS + Miss Ghana Pays Courtesy Call On High Commissioner to The UK-Victor Smith
- PHOTOS + VIDEOS OF THE DAY: While Yvonne Nelson Was Chilling in Her New Apartment, Sandra Ankobiah Was All Expensive in the AIR + Jackie Appiah
- Deputy Minister Of Tourism-Dzifa Gomashie SLAMS Nikki Samonas For Showing Her ‘Okro’ Breasts in The Name Of Showbiz
- Kwaw Kese REFUSED BAIL | REMANDED in Police Custody for Smoking Weed in Kumasi
- And the Details Are in…Juliet Ibrahim’s Ex Husband-Kwadwo Safo CHEATED on Her MULTIPLE TIMES + He Now Has 3 CHILDREN With 3 Different WOMEN | Including A New Child Just After Juliet Ibrahim