So now that the Paralympics have started, I can’t help wondering if, when they end, there will be a rush of African athletes absconding from the Paralympics camps, intending to seek a permanent residency in UK, like what happened with African Olympics teams.
I can definitely tell you that there is a big shift in the other direction, of many Ghanaian youth, raised abroad, who are thinking of going AWOL in Europe/America and coming to Ghana.
I think the recession in Europe and America have had a big part to play in this… this led to massive lack of jobs for graduates and youngsters, and of course, ethnic minority youth are suffering more than the indigenous ones due to institutional racism, lack of social mobility and other factors.
Many of the youth are also business/entrepreneurial minded, and are relishing the new economical and industry growth happening in Africa and are hoping to contribute to that.
Others are hoping to leave a mark in their chosen careers that would be difficult to do in Europe or America with much competition for university spaces, jobs, and positions of distinction.
Here in London, there have been several groups, networks and events targeted at the Ghanaian diaspora, many increasingly focused on business and professional opportunities in Ghana for settlers/resettlers.
There is no place like home, like the English say, and many Abrokyire-born youth are increasingly taking that motto to heart.
Are you an Abrokyire-based youth or individual who is currently aiming to, or seriously thinking about settling/re-settling in Ghana?
I am definitely considering this…What has your experience been out here and what are your expectations of Ghana?
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- Ace Hood Says Sarkodie is A Liar & He Paid Him $25K Before He Accepted to Feature On His Song
- EVIDENCE: Yvonne Nelson is “A Goddam Opportunist, A Thief & A Corrupt Individual” Like those Politicians Messing Up Ghana
- John Dumelo Slams Yvonne Nelson | Paints Her in Her True Colour As a Delilah... Perhaps A Jezebel
- Finally Someone is Kicking MovenPick Hotel’s Butt | The Hotel Has Been Sued for Not Allowing Women Without Male Escorts into Their Bars By 5 Doctors
- PHOTOS + Nominations For 2015 Golden Movie Awards | Grace Omaboe, Kafui Danku, Irene Logan, Nana Ama McBrown, Eazzy, Ama K. Abebrese & Others