I’m not too sure about what the wife of former Ghana Black Stars’ captain, Tony Baffour and Ghanaian actress Kalsum Sinare Baffour was thinking when she recently graced the National Democratic Congress (NDC) Special Delegates Congress in Kumasi.
But what I’m exactly sure about is the fact that, she should have had a second thought in relation to her display of political affiliation.
Really – what is wrong with an actress supporting a political party? Kalsum is not the first movie personality offering her support to a political party and she will not be the last person either. NPP had lots of followers in the entertainment industry same as CPP who even had an actress recently vying for one of the Parliamentary seats.
All the entertainers offering or endorsing a particular party have people who follow everything they are involved in – you can call those people fans. The fans do not necessarily support or have to support the party that, their favourite celebrity support.
I know it’s a bit difficult if your favourite entertainer is on party A’s platform and endorsing them whiles you prefer party B. It is not a good feeling.
I have been a strong advocator for political tolerance and a call to end the discrimination against people who do not belong to the political party that we go with in my own small way.
In Ghana, we claim to have a growing democracy, yet we find it difficult to accept someone else’s party affiliation without subjecting them to name calling, needless insults and discrimination.
It would be absurd for anyone to publicly state their political affiliation because of what is expected after such a disclosure. Kalsum was perhaps born in to the party like the other actresses who may have a soft spot for the other political parties but then, I admire her boldness in coming out strongly.
Most people will be smiling with her but deep in their heads; they are subjecting her to different kind of insults for merely declaring her love and support for a political party different from theirs. The question is; must all Ghanaians join the same party?
Should movie producers who believe in other political parties deliberately ignore or sideline her because of her political affiliation and not think of what she will add to the movie?
The Nigerian Movie Industry popularly called Nollywood is huge enough to accommodate all actors and actresses. So when a particular producer or production house sideline or decide not to use a particular actor, the said actor can rely on the next available production house.
In 2011 in the history of Nigeria’s elections, lots of celebrities, both musicians and movie stars publicly declared their support for their current President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan.
Clearly most of them had done that because of the financial benefits. However, some genuinely believe in the man and his party hence the support and endorsements.
Like I stated earlier on, the Ghana industry is not as big as their Nigerian counterparts, that’s why it won’t be a problem when movie stars endorse a party in Nigeria but suicidal when the opposite happens in Ghana.
We must learn to recognise entertainers with their talents and not their political colours. After all a well nurtured talent stays on forever whiles elections are seasonal. Let’s get out this ‘pull him down’ syndrome because he doesn’t support our party. It’s sickening.
I might not be NDC or not interested in politics but Kalsum has every right to join and associate herself with any political party of her choice. I will be happy to see more endorsements of political parties by celebrities as the general elections get to its zenith.
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- Ghana Music Awards 2013: Winner Of ‘Artistes of the Year’ To Get A New Car
- If R2Bees Wins ‘Artiste Of The Year’ Then Charter House May Redefine That Category + My Predictions For The Vodafone Ghana Music Awards 2013
- VIDEO: E.L Talks About What He Meant When He Said He Is No Longer Doing Any Collaborations With Ghanaian Rappers
- Mario Balotelli Says He Will Follow Kevin-Prince Boateng's Footsteps & Walk Off Pitch Next Time He's Racially Abused
- Juliet Ibrahim Does Not Care If You Think She SUCKS As An Actress
Latest On BeyondGossip.Com!
- It Has Been Confirmed That Beyonce Is Pregnant Again—Sort Of!
- Rapper Drake Spotted In Miami, Wooing A Blonde Chick
- Tamar Braxton Shuts Down Bleaching Rumour, Reveals Struggle With Vitiligo
- Beyonce Rocks The Stage Against Doctors’ Orders In Belgium & Apologizes Again To The Belgium Crowd On Stage For Show Cancellation
- Dr. Dre Donates $70 Million To USC
- Kelly Rownland Talks About Being Jealous Of Beyonce In New Music ‘Dirty Laundry’
- Actress Angelina Jolie Had Both Of Her Breasts Removed to Prevent Cancer
Latest On IAmSassyChic.Com!
- Are You Suffering From Burnout?
- Reasons Why Women Type Like Thissss ‘Words Elongation’
- Is This One More Reason Why You Should Not Marry? Couples Start Taking Each Other For Granted After Just Three And A Half Years Of Marriage
- Ladies Don’t Know Jack About Valentines
- New Craze…Textured/Velvet Nails: Like it ?
- TopVincent.Com: Are You Losing Yourself To Robots? Get A Real Life With The Real World…
- Research Shows That Women Moan & Scream In Bed Because They Think It Makes ‘Banging’ Better, What The HECK?