I was recently in the presence of my friends and some colleagues from work, mind you we were only girls and the conversation naturally turned to relationships and marriage.
Somewhere over the course of the conversation this question crept its way into it. Majority of the girls, in fact ninety nine percent, opted for love and when it got to my turn I opted for money.
For some reason I don’t know why my revelation was a big bolt from the blue to my friends, after all, people get married for various reasons.
Now, I know some of you GhanaCelebrities.Com readers have already tagged me the biggest gold digger on this side of Africa but I do not care. That would still not change my beliefs about marrying for money in the slightest bit. And yes, I have a conscience and good reasons for choosing money over love.
Let us be real here, no one goes into marriage thinking that love alone will sustain it. Wealth is very important in any relationship.
When you have financial problems, you are most likely to fight with your spouse or partner. So you see even those so-called suckers for love consider the money factor before they walk down that proverbial aisle.
So what is the point in holding it against one who settles for money over love. What makes my choice any stranger than theirs?
My mother once told me “Smart women think more about the long run than the short term. Marriage is a long-term investment” and you definitely need to make that long term worth your while.
This assertion does have a true undertone to it. Many young people rush into marriage these days with the notion that love will conquer it all. But that is an erroneous belief.
The divorce rate tells it all. Love fades, s*x stops or greatly diminishes for most people eventually, and romance goes by the wayside (short run). Even the economic meltdown today can conquer the love that you both once shared.
However if you have the money you can have it all, the love and the happiness. Hell, even the s*x gets better if you are most comfortable.
I do believe you have to at least like the person you are marrying and yes, all that may be replaced by a sense of comfort as opposed to that lusty feeling or affection you had with your partner at the beginning.
But for women especially as we get older, we would want to always buy our happiness through trips, outside activities, etc if we have the financial stability and money.
So you see the assertion holds true, smart women or people know that they need to invest their lives wisely.
At this stage, I know you are still not buying into my money talk and would rather stick to your own opinions or beliefs but that is ok, I will still leave you with five reasons why I think money is a better option or reason to marry.
Here are those five reasons for you to mull over:
- If you have good amount of money then you can enjoy your life to the fullest without having to worry about anything and you can also afford the luxuries of life.
- You can pay bills and afford to pay your children’s fees. It is important to invest in your children’s future as well.
- You are assured of a fight free relationship with your spouse
- You can get a healthy lifestyle and enjoy the best medical service.
- You would be able to maintain a good life ahead and you can do whatever you wish to do and achieve your dreams. As 50 cent said, when you are broke, love will not get you on the damn bus.
In a nutshell, I think all these and more will eventually make your marriage a happy and successful one. Nevertheless, if you do not have the money then in the long run your marriage will be an unpleasant one for you. It is very likely that you will then join the sky rocking divorce train.
Anyway, this is only my opinion but I will still like to hear your valued opinions on this. Would you marry for love or the money?
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- Asamoah Gyan’s Father Busted: He Says Baffour Gyan is 36 Years When His Football Public Records Say He is 35 | His Reaction to A Spoof/Satirical Website Gets Him in Real Trouble
- Which Ghanaian Celebrity Owns this Fine B**ty?
- Hiplife Artiste Akoo Nana Following The ‘Alewa’ Route: Is Now Born Again
- Adele Performs 'Hello' With Class Room Instruments on 'Jimmy Fallon'
- FOR YOUR VIEWING PLEASURE: Efya in A Black Swimwear