Before I became computer savvy, I asked myself if one can truly find a true friend via the internet. And for years, my answer had always been “no.” There was MySpace, which teenagers mostly used, then Facebook, which attracted all ages.
An old friend from high school told me that most of the old students of St. Mary’s Secondary School at Korle Gonno were on Facebook, so I should join. She persuaded me for a while until I finally joined in the summer of 2009.
Indeed, it was a life changing experience. Within weeks, I had several request from my former high school friends who seemed thrilled to see me finally come around to being a part of Facebook. Through Facebook, I have been able to make contacts with old friends as far back as primary school (Field Engineers Primary) at Teshie camp. I have been able to exchange phone numbers with some, so we can talk every now and then.
Ok, so all these friends are people I already knew from primary and secondary school, so it’s no big deal meeting them on Facebook.
But I have also met true and genuine friends on Facebook that I didn’t previously know from anywhere. Since joining Facebook in 2009, I have met very decent, true, and genuine friends. I met the current journalist of the year via Facebook, and he actually came to my house to visit me when I went to Ghana last year after I called him upon my arrival.
I met the current director of GBC via Facebook, and my sister also met a staff of Joy FM via Facebook. I also met the man who is cutting blocks for a project I have going on in Ghana on Facebook. I have decided not to mention the names of my friends to protect their identity. We have actually seen these people, and they have become true friends. I recently had a party, and my mc was from Facebook.
I don’t encourage my children and will not encourage anyone to make friends on the internet. If you choose to make friends on the internet, then you should NEVER meet them while alone in secluded areas. That can be deadly and dangerous. If you make a friend on Facebook, meet that person in a public place, and once you get to meet him/her, take the time to find out if that person is really who he/she says he/she is.
Be your own private investigator if you truly want to keep a friendship with someone you met online. You have to protect yourself because on one will. Technology is a blessing and a curse to mankind. It is a blessing in so many ways than it is a curse.
Only a handful of people misuse the internet to kill, steal, rape, or to destroy others. Majority of the world use the internet for great causes such as to learn, acquire wealth, earn a living, and build strong friendships. Everything in this world has its advantages and disadvantages; you just have to play it safe!
What has your friendship experience be online? Have you met any true friend via the internet?
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- Award-Winning Investigate Journalist-Anas Aremeyaw Anas Warns John Dumelo & Promises To Expose His ‘Dirty Lifestyle’ + What We Know About The Australian Money Issue
- The Much Talked About Movie-CHEATERS Starring Jackie Appiah, Adjetey Anang & Others Premieres Tomorrow-24 May!
- EXCLUSIVE PHOTOS: The Moment Captain Planet Of 4x4 Fame & Fred Nuamah Met Top British Actor-Clive Owen
- *UPDATED* MORE RED CARPET PHOTOS: Zoe Saldana, Clive Owen, Takao Osawa, Nanako Matsushima, Tatsuya Fujiwara, Rasaroi Dawson, Fred Nuamah, Captain Planet & Others At 66 Cannes Film Festival
- PricelessMom.Com: YES! Loving Too Much Can Kill
Latest On BeyondGossip.Com!
- It Has Been Confirmed That Beyonce Is Pregnant Again—Sort Of!
- Rapper Drake Spotted In Miami, Wooing A Blonde Chick
- Tamar Braxton Shuts Down Bleaching Rumour, Reveals Struggle With Vitiligo
- Beyonce Rocks The Stage Against Doctors’ Orders In Belgium & Apologizes Again To The Belgium Crowd On Stage For Show Cancellation
- Dr. Dre Donates $70 Million To USC
- Kelly Rownland Talks About Being Jealous Of Beyonce In New Music ‘Dirty Laundry’
- Actress Angelina Jolie Had Both Of Her Breasts Removed to Prevent Cancer
Latest On IAmSassyChic.Com!
- Are You Suffering From Burnout?
- Reasons Why Women Type Like Thissss ‘Words Elongation’
- Is This One More Reason Why You Should Not Marry? Couples Start Taking Each Other For Granted After Just Three And A Half Years Of Marriage
- Ladies Don’t Know Jack About Valentines
- New Craze…Textured/Velvet Nails: Like it ?
- TopVincent.Com: Are You Losing Yourself To Robots? Get A Real Life With The Real World…
- Research Shows That Women Moan & Scream In Bed Because They Think It Makes ‘Banging’ Better, What The HECK?