The senate completely banned same sex marriages and any form of public display of affection by gay couples.
They shocked the world but what Nigeria wants, Nigeria gets. They sure weren’t joking.
Unfortunately for Bestwood Chukwuemeka a Nigerian actor, he has fallen victim to the harsh reality of this law as he has been sentenced to three months in jail for sodomy under the influence of alcohol.
Although he initially denied the charges earlier in September with the excuse that he thought it was his girlfriend he was romancing because he came from the club drunk, Bestwood Chukwuemeka finally pleaded guilty to having engaged in homosexuality but said he committed the crime under the influence of alcohol.
“I am guilty of the charge against me. I was under the influence of alcohol and I want the court to temper justice with mercy’’, he said.
The actor, 28 was on Monday sentenced to three-month imprisonment by a Karu Senior Magistrates’ Court, Abuja, for having sexual intercourse with another man through the anus.
Homosexual acts are contravene Section 284 of the Penal Code of Nigeria.
The actor will serve three months in prison with no option to a fine.
The bill – Same Sex Marriage (prohibition) bill 2011 – prescribes 14-year jail terms for convicted gays in Nigeria.
“Persons who entered into a same sex marriage contract or civil union commits an offence and are each liable on conviction to a term of 14 years imprisonment,” the new law said.
It added, “Any person, who registers, operates or participates in gay clubs, societies and organization, or directly or indirectly makes public show of same-sex amorous relationships in Nigeria commits an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a term of 10-year imprisonment.
Whew! Nobody wants to be caught gay in Nigeria after this.
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- UK New Rules Demand that Men Must Prove A Woman Said YES to S*X Else it’s Rape | Think KKD…
- THE BIG DEBATE: Do You Agree Music is Superior/Master Over All Forms Of Creative Arts – Are The Rest – Writing, Acting, Modeling, Painting, Etc. SERVANTS to Music?
- PHOTOS OF THE DAY: Sandra Ankobiah, Yvonne Nelson, Becca, Joselyn Dumas, John Dumelo & Others
- OPINION: Nigerians Confidently Speak Fluent But Bad English | Whilst Ghanaians Timidly Speak Good English But Not Fluent
- Miss Universe Ghana | Still in the Mess…Is this a Ghanaian Costume?