The senate completely banned same sex marriages and any form of public display of affection by gay couples.
They shocked the world but what Nigeria wants, Nigeria gets. They sure weren’t joking.
Unfortunately for Bestwood Chukwuemeka a Nigerian actor, he has fallen victim to the harsh reality of this law as he has been sentenced to three months in jail for sodomy under the influence of alcohol.
Although he initially denied the charges earlier in September with the excuse that he thought it was his girlfriend he was romancing because he came from the club drunk, Bestwood Chukwuemeka finally pleaded guilty to having engaged in homosexuality but said he committed the crime under the influence of alcohol.
“I am guilty of the charge against me. I was under the influence of alcohol and I want the court to temper justice with mercy’’, he said.
The actor, 28 was on Monday sentenced to three-month imprisonment by a Karu Senior Magistrates’ Court, Abuja, for having sexual intercourse with another man through the anus.
Homosexual acts are contravene Section 284 of the Penal Code of Nigeria.
The actor will serve three months in prison with no option to a fine.
The bill – Same Sex Marriage (prohibition) bill 2011 – prescribes 14-year jail terms for convicted gays in Nigeria.
“Persons who entered into a same sex marriage contract or civil union commits an offence and are each liable on conviction to a term of 14 years imprisonment,” the new law said.
It added, “Any person, who registers, operates or participates in gay clubs, societies and organization, or directly or indirectly makes public show of same-sex amorous relationships in Nigeria commits an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a term of 10-year imprisonment.
Whew! Nobody wants to be caught gay in Nigeria after this.
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- Celebrity Instagram & Twit Pics of the Week: Jackie Appiah, Yvonne Nelson, Prince David Osei, Captain Planet, Ama K Abebrese, Yvonne Okoro & Others
- Majid Michel: A 21st Century Ghanaian Actor Who Thinks Homosexuals Are Abomination & Hears the Holy Spirit Talk to Him All the Time
- VIDEO: This Will Make You Question Why You Go To Church
- As Nigerians Go to the Poll: Electoral Cockroaches in Africa | Selling Your Conscience, Future & That of Others for Tubers of Yams And Bags of Rice…
- VIDEO: Hard Talk | Marriage for Convenience…Don’t Even Try It!