Let us accept it, we all like lipstick. Yes, even the men love the taste of it on our lips. If you think I am lying ask your boyfriend. But have you ever stopped to wonder or ask yourself what this lip product does for you, no let me rephrase that question have you ever stopped to wonder what the components of this product that women patronize so much are?
Oh, I can certainly tell you what some of the components are. They are pigments, waxes and emollients. But wait, I am not done, there is also lead. Yes, you heard me right, lead. Now I am just not concocting this to scare my fellow sisters who love the lip embellishing product because seriously, there are research findings that prove this.
Recently the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced an updated study that showed 400 shades of lipstick contain traces of lead. Brands such as Maybelline, Cover Girl and others made the list. There have also been reports of lead findings in lipsticks during the 1990s.
In 2007 the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics reported lead traces in lipstick, as well. These tests are conducted periodically to maintain a current record. So there is the proof.
Now, in terms of a potential health risk the FDA also stated that they have assessed the potential for harm to consumers from use of lipstick containing lead at the levels found in both rounds of testing. They however said the lead levels found in lipsticks is not much of a safety concern. They confirmed that the lead level found were the recommended limits by other public health authorities for lead in cosmetics, including lipstick
The good news is that, the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics is advocating for more regulation of lead in lipstick due to harmful effects on the body. But here comes another bombshell, according to the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics’ website, “Lead builds up in the body over time and lead-containing lipstick applied several times a day, every day, can add up to significant exposure levels. The latest studies show there is no safe level of lead exposure,” according to Mark Mitchell, MD, MPH, policy advisor of the Connecticut Coalition for Environmental Justice and co-chair of the Environmental Health Task Force for the National Medical Association.
The lipsticks containing the most lead (measured in parts per million) are:
1. Maybelline Color Sensational, Pink Petal (7.9 ppm)
2. L’Oreal Colour Riche, Volcanic, (7.0 ppm)
3. NARS Semi-Matte, Red Lizard (4.93 ppm)
4. Cover Girl Queen Collection, Ruby Remix, (4.92 ppm)
5. Nars Semi-Matte, Funny Face (4.89 ppm)
6. L’Oreal Colour Riche, Tickled Pink (4.45 ppm)
7. L’Oreal Intensely Moisturizing Lipcolor, Heroic (4.41 ppm)
8. Cover Girl Continuous Color, Warm Brick (4.28 ppm)
9. Maybelline Color Sensational, Mauve Me (4.23 ppm)
10. Stargazer Lipstick, #103 (4.12 ppm)
So I am forced to ask after all these findings would it stop you or would it be good enough reason to stop your girlfriend from using the lip embellishing product or you would rather they try or explore other options?
Are we close to the kiss of death yet?
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- The Scamming Continues: Miss Universe 2012-Gifty Ofori Stripped Of Her Title After She Exposed Organizers For Not Giving Her The Various Promised Prizes
- PHOTOS From Launch Of ‘Ghana Meets Naija’ Feat. Wizkid, Bola Ray, Edem, Okyeame Kwame, EL, John Dumelo, Juliet Ibrahim & Others
- Celebrity & Law: African Celebrities Who Work Without Permits In USA, UK & Other Countries Face Arrest, Imprisonment & Deportation
- Award-Winning Investigate Journalist-Anas Aremeyaw Anas Warns John Dumelo & Promises To Expose His ‘Dirty Lifestyle’ + What We Know About The Australian Money Issue
- The Much Talked About Movie-CHEATERS Starring Jackie Appiah, Adjetey Anang & Others Premieres Tomorrow-24 May!
Latest On BeyondGossip.Com!
- VIDEO: Ray J Talks About Missing Kim, Him Being Responsible For Her Success & More
- I Never Said Jay-Z Was A ‘Tranny Chaser’ Says Foxy Brown
- New Music: ‘I’m Out ‘ By Ciara ft. Nicki Minaj
- PHOTOS: Nicki Minaj Spotted In NY Looking Miserable
- It Has Been Confirmed That Beyonce Is Pregnant Again—Sort Of!
- Rapper Drake Spotted In Miami, Wooing A Blonde Chick
- Tamar Braxton Shuts Down Bleaching Rumour, Reveals Struggle With Vitiligo
Latest On IAmSassyChic.Com!
- Are You Suffering From Burnout?
- Reasons Why Women Type Like Thissss ‘Words Elongation’
- Is This One More Reason Why You Should Not Marry? Couples Start Taking Each Other For Granted After Just Three And A Half Years Of Marriage
- Ladies Don’t Know Jack About Valentines
- New Craze…Textured/Velvet Nails: Like it ?
- TopVincent.Com: Are You Losing Yourself To Robots? Get A Real Life With The Real World…
- Research Shows That Women Moan & Scream In Bed Because They Think It Makes ‘Banging’ Better, What The HECK?