Geez…Some of our people….
Smugglers stuffed cocaine worth £750,000 into hollowed out plantains in a consignment of fruit and vegetables, the UK Border Force said today.
A 7.5kg haul of the class A drug was seized at Heathrow on Tuesday on a flight from Ghana.
The banana-like fruits had been hollowed out, filled with packages of cocaine and resealed.
Border staff believe the same smuggling gang were behind a 1.5-tonne consignment of cannabis discovered the previous day, also on a flight of fruit and vegetables from Ghana.
That haul had a street value of around £4.3 million.
Marc Owen, Heathrow director for Border Force, said: “It seems likely that the same criminal gangs were involved in both of these two smuggling attempts. This means that in just two days we have put a £5 million dent in their profits.
“These two seizures demonstrate the success we’re having in disrupting criminal smugglers and keeping illegal drugs off the streets of the UK.”
The cannabis seizure was the biggest at Heathrow Airport in more than three years.
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- EXCLUSIVE – Imajin Advertising to Consider Kojo Antwi For 2014 Legends And Legacy Ball
- ThrowBack Video: Hammer Talks About The Lyrical Prowess of TeePhlow & Says He is the Next Sarkodie
- P-Square ‘Breakup’-My Thoughts...
- BG: BLACK IS BEAUTIFUL | Actress Lupita Nyong’o Named 2014 People Magazine’s Most Beautiful Woman
- New Music: 'The Warning' By TeePhlow Feat. Sarkodie