Long before modern technology was introduced to the African continent in the late twentieth century, tradition always featured dominantly in our way or life or as many may call it: culture.
Do you remember all those times you would visit your friend’s house to have good conversation or engage in some leisure activity?
How about those days when you had to call that small boy to give a note to the girl you were crushing on but could not visit because of her strict father? Oh yes! That did have a lot of positive effects on character in terms of the instilling of good habits and principles.
How about how grandparents would sit and tell their grandkids folklore at night on the porches and balconies of their homes when the kids went to spend the weekends? The instances are endless so let’s just proceed to the crust of the matter. The introduction of technology comes with several benefits. Unfortunately, it seems that these benefits are also crippling the basic definition of our being in terms of our culture.
The mobile phone has made it possible for us to communicate with loved ones who are far away. We all love the late night calls in our beds to that special person and those text messages that we can send, don’t we?
However, how about when people begin to believe that the cell phone can replace actual human interaction? People are always tapping away on phones when their friends live probably four houses away. Now, prospective couples hardly spend time together physically since there is the social media; facebook, skype etc.
I have a friend who can play that FIFA game for six hours straight. What happened to the ludo, oware, ampe, pilolo, dam3 etc? I don’t remember the last time I saw anyone playing oware.
We have replaced it all with some sorts of foreign material. Don’t get me wrong; I’m not saying that these foreign games are bad. I’m just worried with the way we seem to have abandoned our local entertainment forms totally for the foreign ones.
Imagine my surprise when I heard that one of my old schoolmates had done a Skype traditional marriage because the man was not in the country. Seriously? Is that how modern technology is going to affect our cultural practices?
So, apparently the girl wore her traditional attire in Ghana and sat in front of her webcam with her family and the guy’s family while the guy, also dressed in his kente, sat in front of his computer in the UK.
Now, why were they in such a hurry that they had to do this on Skype. I wonder if they didn’t have network problems too.
I am hopelessly romantic so this particular style is out of the question for me. In fact, this does not agree with my understanding of what a traditional marriage is supposed to entail.
I can understand if this was used for an introduction ceremony but a traditional marriage which is serious is totally out of the question. The marriage is a traditional one, not a technological one. Isn’t this going to have a negative impact on our generation if people adopt this style?
So the question I keep asking myself and hope our cherished GhanaCelebrities.Com readers can answer for me is this;
How do we keep our cultural identity and pass on our traditions and practices to future generations in this technological age?
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- *UPDATED* MORE RED CARPET PHOTOS: Zoe Saldana, Clive Owen, Takao Osawa, Nanako Matsushima, Tatsuya Fujiwara, Rasaroi Dawson, Fred Nuamah, Captain Planet & Others At 66 Cannes Film Festival
- PricelessMom.Com: YES! Loving Too Much Can Kill
- *UPDATED* CELEB STYLE: Captain Planet’s Glitzy Appearance At 2013 Cannes Film Festival Alongside Hollywood Actress
- 2768 Downloads In 2 Weeks Since I 'UnCopyrighted' My Life Changing Book-'Success Is A Right, Not A Privilege'…Get Your FREE Copy Now!
- PHOTOS OF THE DAY: Confidence Haugen, Good Genes Or Good Doctor?
Latest On BeyondGossip.Com!
- It Has Been Confirmed That Beyonce Is Pregnant Again—Sort Of!
- Rapper Drake Spotted In Miami, Wooing A Blonde Chick
- Tamar Braxton Shuts Down Bleaching Rumour, Reveals Struggle With Vitiligo
- Beyonce Rocks The Stage Against Doctors’ Orders In Belgium & Apologizes Again To The Belgium Crowd On Stage For Show Cancellation
- Dr. Dre Donates $70 Million To USC
- Kelly Rownland Talks About Being Jealous Of Beyonce In New Music ‘Dirty Laundry’
- Actress Angelina Jolie Had Both Of Her Breasts Removed to Prevent Cancer
Latest On IAmSassyChic.Com!
- Are You Suffering From Burnout?
- Reasons Why Women Type Like Thissss ‘Words Elongation’
- Is This One More Reason Why You Should Not Marry? Couples Start Taking Each Other For Granted After Just Three And A Half Years Of Marriage
- Ladies Don’t Know Jack About Valentines
- New Craze…Textured/Velvet Nails: Like it ?
- TopVincent.Com: Are You Losing Yourself To Robots? Get A Real Life With The Real World…
- Research Shows That Women Moan & Scream In Bed Because They Think It Makes ‘Banging’ Better, What The HECK?