Miss Malaika 2011, Geraldine ‘Gerry’ Partington has added her voice through a project to tackle and help in prevention of Maternal Mortality in Ghana.
Before she was crown the winner of Miss Malaika 2012, Gerry promised to create awareness about maternal mortality in Ghana. Owing to that promise, she organised a Fund Raising Fashion Show in September to raise funds to support and fight maternal mortality in Ghana.
The project afforded Gerry whose reign of the Malaika crown was characterised by widespread disagreements in the media and fans who witnessed the show to add her voice to the prevention of Maternal Mortality in the country.
According to statistics from the United Nations, each year more than 350,000 women in the developing world aged 15-49 die of pregnancy and childbirth related complications.
In Ghana 1 in 66 women have a chance of dying in childbirth. These deaths occur as a result of complications including severe bleeding, infections, hypertensive disorders and unsafe abortion.
The beauty queen took the project titled ‘Prevention of Maternal Mortality in Ghana’ to two Senior High Schools in Accra.
The first school, Gerry and her team visited was the Accra High school in Accra and continued to the West Africa Senior High School.
At each of the schools, Rejoice Nutakor, ADHD Manager of Ghana Health Service spoke extensively to the students about “Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention: Sure way to preventing pregnancy related illness and deaths in Ghana”.
Students were educated on adolescent and health services and ways to stay safe since at that age, they discover their sexuality and get attracted to the opposite sex.
The use of the female condom was demonstrated to the students to climax the project. Gerry then distributed a customized exercise books, project outlines and youth magazine to the students.
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- RED CARPET FAB: Photos + I Was Given The All Important Red Carpet Attention Alongside Fred Nuamah At 2013 Cannes Film Festival…
- Introducing Edith Faalong As Naana In 'Living With Trisha'
- PHOTOS: Captain Planet Of 4x4 At Cannes, The Party Has Just Started!
- Lydia Forson Says She Is Building A Brand, Sort Of Halle Berry’s Type & That Is Part Of Why She's Not Seen In Most Ghanaian Movies
- OBS: 4 Die At T. B Joshua’s Church; 30 Others Injured In 'Holy Water' Stampede...REALLY?
Latest On BeyondGossip.Com!
- It Has Been Confirmed That Beyonce Is Pregnant Again—Sort Of!
- Rapper Drake Spotted In Miami, Wooing A Blonde Chick
- Tamar Braxton Shuts Down Bleaching Rumour, Reveals Struggle With Vitiligo
- Beyonce Rocks The Stage Against Doctors’ Orders In Belgium & Apologizes Again To The Belgium Crowd On Stage For Show Cancellation
- Dr. Dre Donates $70 Million To USC
- Kelly Rownland Talks About Being Jealous Of Beyonce In New Music ‘Dirty Laundry’
- Actress Angelina Jolie Had Both Of Her Breasts Removed to Prevent Cancer
Latest On IAmSassyChic.Com!
- Are You Suffering From Burnout?
- Reasons Why Women Type Like Thissss ‘Words Elongation’
- Is This One More Reason Why You Should Not Marry? Couples Start Taking Each Other For Granted After Just Three And A Half Years Of Marriage
- Ladies Don’t Know Jack About Valentines
- New Craze…Textured/Velvet Nails: Like it ?
- TopVincent.Com: Are You Losing Yourself To Robots? Get A Real Life With The Real World…
- Research Shows That Women Moan & Scream In Bed Because They Think It Makes ‘Banging’ Better, What The HECK?