Miss Malaika 2011, Geraldine ‘Gerry’ Partington has added her voice through a project to tackle and help in prevention of Maternal Mortality in Ghana.
Before she was crown the winner of Miss Malaika 2012, Gerry promised to create awareness about maternal mortality in Ghana. Owing to that promise, she organised a Fund Raising Fashion Show in September to raise funds to support and fight maternal mortality in Ghana.
The project afforded Gerry whose reign of the Malaika crown was characterised by widespread disagreements in the media and fans who witnessed the show to add her voice to the prevention of Maternal Mortality in the country.
According to statistics from the United Nations, each year more than 350,000 women in the developing world aged 15-49 die of pregnancy and childbirth related complications.
In Ghana 1 in 66 women have a chance of dying in childbirth. These deaths occur as a result of complications including severe bleeding, infections, hypertensive disorders and unsafe abortion.
The beauty queen took the project titled ‘Prevention of Maternal Mortality in Ghana’ to two Senior High Schools in Accra.
The first school, Gerry and her team visited was the Accra High school in Accra and continued to the West Africa Senior High School.
At each of the schools, Rejoice Nutakor, ADHD Manager of Ghana Health Service spoke extensively to the students about “Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention: Sure way to preventing pregnancy related illness and deaths in Ghana”.
Students were educated on adolescent and health services and ways to stay safe since at that age, they discover their sexuality and get attracted to the opposite sex.
The use of the female condom was demonstrated to the students to climax the project. Gerry then distributed a customized exercise books, project outlines and youth magazine to the students.
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- Sparrow Station Is LIVE | Watch ‘Big For Nothing’, Peep, Adams Apples Season 2 & All The Sparrow Movies On There NOW!
- New Music Video: 'Come Closer' By Fuse ODG Feat. Wande Coal
- The Power Of BOOBIE JOB | Confidence Haugen In Focus-Do You Think She Needed It?
- OPENED GOSSIP: Which Ghanaian Female Bisexual Musician Is CHOPPING DOWN The Wife Of A Ghanaian Football Star?
- Can You Imagine The Meaning of ‘INTERNATIONAL’ In Ghana’s Showbiz?
Latest On BeyondGossip.Com!
- Oprah Winfrey Says She Has No Regrets About Not Having Kids
- Mike Tyson Has Cancelled His Book Signing Tour in UK Because He Is Barred From Britain Over Rape Conviction
- Kim Kardashian Says Her BODY Is Back As She Covers US Weekly
- Rapper-The Game Honours Nelson Mandela With A New Tattoo
- Kanye West Says Being A Rapper Is Dangerous, Just Like A Cop Or Being At War
- PHOTOS: Keri Hilson Celebrates Her 31st Birthday With T-Pain & Others
- The Vivacious Braxton Sisters Grace The Cover Of Hype Hair
Latest On IAmSassyChic.Com!
- How To Maintain Your Skin During The Festive Period
- How To Date Someone With Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI)
- Everything You Should Know About Your Bra
- How To Lose Weight Before Christmas Day!
- How To Overcome Wardrobe Malfunction
- Staying Younger Even When Age Knocks At Your Door
- How To Win Your First Date