Four Foundations instituted by Ghanaian celebrities have been nominated for a Humanitarian Award at the Golden Icons Academy Movie Awards (GIAMA) for 2012.
The nominated Foundations are; The McBrown Family Foundation by actress Nana Ama Mcbrown, the John Dumelo Foundation by actor John Dumelo, actress Juliet Ibrahim’s Kidney Cancer Foundation and the Van Vicker’ Foundation.
All the Foundations are in active operation now.
THE MCBROWN FOUNDATION
The McBrown Family Foundation has been involved in vigorous humanitarian projects since it was instituted some years ago. The Foundation headed by the late Papa Kofi McBrown currently caters for about 6 children from the Kumasi Children’s Home.
They recently donated wheelchairs to physically challenge persons with the help from Free Wheelchair Mission (FWM) Ghana. The Foundation is known to have visited and donated various items to Orphanage Homes and the Akropong School of the Blind.
THE JOHN DUMELO FOUNDATION
The John Dumelo Foundation which is supported with funds from his J.Melo hair and clothing line recently donated an unspecified amount of money to the Student Financial Aid Office of the University of Ghana for scholarship to two students; a Medical and Theatre Art.
The Foundation is currently building schools for students in the Northern Region of Ghana. John is hoping to open his J.Melo shop in East Legon, so as to get more funds to push the Foundation in supporting needy but brilliant students in Ghana.
JULIET IBRAHIM’S KIDNEY CANCER FOUNDATION
The Juliet Ibrahim Kidney Cancer Foundation is the busiest and popular of all the foundations. The actress kick-started the Foundation by organising charity ALL FEMALE celebrity soccer match at the EL-Wak Sports Stadium in Accra.
It was aimed at raising funds to support kidney affected patients. In a spirit of giving, she brought virtually all the Ghanaian female celebrities on one venue to support charity.
The Foundation recently donated some funds to a 14year old boy who was undergoing a kidney surgery.
VAN VICKER’ FOUNDATION
The quietest of all the Foundations would be the Van Vicker Foundation. Having been in existence for some years now, the Foundation has been involved in donations to schools to cater for the needs of students.
The Foundation recently gave out school supplies to the children of Brooklyn Family Homeless Shelter. The foundation is founded on principles such as; living situations should not stop any child from learning.
Other nominees from Nigeria are; Omotola Jalade – Omotola Youth Empowerment (OYEP) Foundation and Monalisa Chinda – Monalisa Chinda Sunshine Foundation.
The GIAMA is an annual award Jamboree designed to celebrate the very best in Africa’s rich culture of entertainment through filmography, which will serve as a vehicle of continent rejuvenation in a proudly African expression.
GIAMA 2012 is scheduled for October 20, 2012 at the HBU -Morris Cultural Arts Center: Dunham Theater, 7502 Fondren Road, Houston, Texas
GIAMA aims is to be solely focused on rewarding excellent movies produced in Africa, or by Africans in the Diaspora. In addition, highly creative musical performances, exhibitions, display of top African brands will be side attractions during the event
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- SOMEWHERE IN THE WORLD: BBC Viewers Are Angry, 1,350 People Complain About 'EXCESSIVE' Coverage Of Mandela's Death
- Winner Of 2006 Miss Malaika-Hamamat Montia Has STOLEN A Car?
- DO YOU KNOW THAT: People Who Can Ignore Texts Or Calls Are Happier Than Those Who Answer?
- Nigeria’s Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy, Jay Z Tops Nominations + The Full List Of Nominees
- 2013 AfricaMagic Viewers’ Choice Awards Nominations Are In...Yvonne Okoro, Jackie Appiah, Majid Michel, Shirley Frimpong-Manso, Ken Attoh & Others Nominated!
Latest On BeyondGossip.Com!
- Rapper-The Game Honours Nelson Mandela With A New Tattoo
- Kanye West Says Being A Rapper Is Dangerous, Just Like A Cop Or Being At War
- PHOTOS: Keri Hilson Celebrates Her 31st Birthday With T-Pain & Others
- The Vivacious Braxton Sisters Grace The Cover Of Hype Hair
- Gabrielle Union Looking Super FAB At The Alvin Ailey 2013 Opening Night Gala
- Mariah Carey Looking ‘Christmasly’ Naughty & Cute As She Performs At Rockefeller Center
- Terrence Howard Secretly Marries Girlfriend After One Month Of Dating?
Latest On IAmSassyChic.Com!
- How To Date Someone With Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI)
- Everything You Should Know About Your Bra
- How To Lose Weight Before Christmas Day!
- How To Overcome Wardrobe Malfunction
- Staying Younger Even When Age Knocks At Your Door
- How To Win Your First Date
- Secrets Your Man Would Not Want You To Know