Growing up in Ghana, I was told about instances where people are burnt to death for stealing, killing, or accidentally hitting someone with a vehicle. I have read some articles online recently which confirm that, sadly, the system of mob justice still continues in modern day Ghana.
I also recently watched a movie directed by Koby Rina titled “2bad” in which a mob descended on a repented armed robber years after he quit crime. The mob hunted and killed him for their version of justice on his way to an all-night service in church.
A few days ago, I read and watched a video clip on a Nigerian website where four university students were severely beaten and burnt with tires to death for stealing mobile phones and laptops.
When we were in slavery, we cried, fought and pleaded for justice and equality. Is there any justice in this? I don’t think so! I do understand that it is very frustrating to work hard and buy something only to have another person come steal it, but that still doesn’t justify this type of barbaric punishment.
As a passenger on a VIP bus, I witnessed an accident on the Accra-Kumasi road last year when I was in Ghana for a visit. A taxi driver had accidentally hit a little boy, and from all indication things didn’t look good for the little boy. I watched as the driver sped away instead of stopping to assist the victim. The driver of the VIP bus followed the taxi driver only to see him report himself to the police.
Out of curiosity, I asked why he did that. In my opinion, the boy had a better chance of survival had the driver stopped to take him to the hospital, rather than having to report to the police station first.
To my surprise, almost all the passengers on the bus said he was a smart driver for doing that because if he had stopped, the town people would have definitely killed him.
OMG, I was blown away by. Apparently, the mob or jungle justice is slowly becoming a norm in Ghana and it even applies to drivers who accidentally hit someone.
In this 21t century, are we still relying on mob justice as an effective societal remedy? As a Ghanaian and an African, I believe that some of us are very backwards and uncivilized. What is the justice in a group of people taking the law into their own hands and killing another?
This is why I prefer to call it…MOB INJUSTICE!
This time of punishment is barbaric and outmoded. We shouldn’t sit back and allow a few unscrupulous and wicked people turn our society upside down by their way of seeking justice on alleged criminal.
What is your take on Mob Justice? I wish we call it Mob Injustice!
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- FOKN Bois Returns With Coz Ov Moni Part 2 | Watch The Trailer Below + The Whole Of Part 1
- PHOTOS From The 2013 AfricaMagic Viewers’ Choice Awards (AMVCAs) Nominations Ceremony | Feat. Yvonne Okoro, Majid Michel, Sandra Ankobiah, Joselyn Dumas, Karen Igho & Others…
- THE BIG QUESTION: Would You Give Your Man A ‘HALL PASS’?
- DID SHE REALLY SAY THAT? Juliet Ibrahim Says She 'Receives More Favours Because Of Her Fair Complexion' | No Wonder Yvonne Nelson & Others Are Bleaching Their Lives Away
- If You Are Looking For A ‘Good Girl’, Stay Away From The Social Media JUNKIES
Latest On BeyondGossip.Com!
- Kanye West Says Being A Rapper Is Dangerous, Just Like A Cop Or Being At War
- PHOTOS: Keri Hilson Celebrates Her 31st Birthday With T-Pain & Others
- The Vivacious Braxton Sisters Grace The Cover Of Hype Hair
- Gabrielle Union Looking Super FAB At The Alvin Ailey 2013 Opening Night Gala
- Mariah Carey Looking ‘Christmasly’ Naughty & Cute As She Performs At Rockefeller Center
- Terrence Howard Secretly Marries Girlfriend After One Month Of Dating?
- Detective Says Paul Walker’s Car Was Going 90 MPH In A 45 MPH Speed Zone At Time Of Fatal Crash!
Latest On IAmSassyChic.Com!
- How To Date Someone With Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI)
- Everything You Should Know About Your Bra
- How To Lose Weight Before Christmas Day!
- How To Overcome Wardrobe Malfunction
- Staying Younger Even When Age Knocks At Your Door
- How To Win Your First Date
- Secrets Your Man Would Not Want You To Know