What does Akua Ataa (Kyeiwaa), Mercy Asiedu andPatience Ozonkwo’s Mama Gee character have in common? You got that right, the “refuse to grow” syndrome also known as the Peta Pan syndrome.
Did you know that years ago this used to be a man thing?. These days this has become prevalent among our women.
I was with a friend on her forty first birthday last week and we started talking about what she wanted out of her life at her age.
Generally this is what I think of my friend; she is very indicative of her generation-youthful looking, stays in shape, has her career in hand and loves to club and party. Apart from being surprised by her stamina I was wondering why she indulges like a 20 year youngster-This includes alcohol and some occasional recreational drugs.
So I did a little research on my own and found out that my friend was suffering from this syndrome. My friend has been divorced twice and goes after non-committal men half her age who have nothing but living off older women.
So I ask her why she chooses to live her life like a young adult-Peter Pan. And this is what girlfriend said “ Age is just a number and you only feel old if you want to. It is a psychologically thing, Hun”.
The allure was obvious to me. At that point, I still couldn’t see what the fun was in trying too hard (way too hard) to be like her teenage daughters.
What I did understand is that my girlfriend was afraid to stop the fun roller coaster least she became old in the process and that is what I think many women of her age suffer from.
So the next time you see another woman in the club or wearing a skimpy dress and you think she is not acting her age, know that she is suffering from the Peta Pan Syndrome.
I know some of you think this syndrome is not cool and would rather want older people act their age.
But the question is, can they help it? Maybe we should be directing this to a psychologist.
What is your take on Peta Pan women? Do they get on your nerves? Do you know any Peta Pan?
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: The Rich & Fabulous Lifestyle of Sandra Ankboah | From Paris to Cannes- Private Chartered Helicopter, Bentley, Yacht & More in Just A Week…Part 2
- PHOTOS & VIDEO: And Shatta Wale Took His Shirt, Pants and Shoes Off | Which Got People Screaming at 'Tigo Ghana Meets Naija'
- All the PHOTOS From the 2015 'Tigo Ghana Meets Naija' Performances | Sarkodie, Shatta Wale, MzVee, the Mavins & Others
- ECG Disconnects Yvonne Nelson’s Apartment for Not Paying Electricity Bills & Using Illegal Connection?
- PHOTOS: Fred Nuamah, Actor-Henry Adofo & Others at the 68th Cannes Film Festival | Fred Hired A Damn Yacht This Year?