It will shock you to know that several foreign celebrities (non Africans) think Africa is a single country. Even if you do not catch them unashamedly saying so, you will find them implying this in their speeches, writings and interviews.
Somewhere last year during Amber Rose’s visit to Ghana, she kept referring to Africa in such a way that shows that; to her, Africa is a country and all there is to Africa is Ghana…
I have heard several foreigners (including non celebrities) making this unintelligent mistake by suggesting that, Africa is just a single country out there…
Apart from these foreign individuals failing to recognise that, like Europe or Asia, Africa is a continent with several countries, diverse culture, beliefs and way of life, several foreign media outlets also continue to project Africa in such a lousy way.
The sad part of this ignorant projection of Africa as a single country is that, some of us, especially our African celebrities are joining in…
Instead of us ceasing any opportunity we get to correct this foreign bred misconception, we rather continue to affirm the misconstruction…
Recently, Yvonne Okoro thought she was being smart by implying that, her nationality is African…These are the people who are aiding the ignorance of the many foreigners…
Today, a blogger friend of mine-Marian Kihogan who seems to be getting tired of the unintelligent projection of Africa as a country wrote on her Facebook wall “Africa like Europe or Asia, is not a country. Although often misrepresented in the mass media Africa is a large and diverse continent with more languages, cultures, traditions and ways of life than can be documented.
No two countries in Africa are the same. Saying he/she is from Africa is about as useful as saying someone is from Asia/Europe etc.
Africa is a continent.”
It feels good to know that, there are still people out there who are ready to educate and challenge this misconception being paraded by some of our own celebrities and foreigners…
It is the beauty of our diverse culture, traditions, beliefs and way of life that defines us. Therefore, any attempt to relegate these distinguished attributes and present us as what we are NOT shouldn’t be entertained…
If no one will by any statement suggest that Europe or Asia is a single country, why Africa?
Anytime you find yourself making this mistake, fix it and when you come across people parading their ignorance in such a manner, correct them!
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- Open Letter To BET…Can Africa Receive This Year’s Award On Your Main Stage Too?
- Confusing Calculated Lies With Publicity Stunts In Ghana Showbiz…When Will We Get It Right?
- Are Black Women Worth Anything More Than Their Backsides & Weaves?
- MUST READ: And You Wonder Why Ghanaian Music & Movies Ain’t Going NO Where?
- Stop Giving Your Money To Ghanaian Stars, Especially The Ladies Living Outside Ghana…
Latest On BeyondGossip.Com!
- It Has Been Confirmed That Beyonce Is Pregnant Again—Sort Of!
- Rapper Drake Spotted In Miami, Wooing A Blonde Chick
- Tamar Braxton Shuts Down Bleaching Rumour, Reveals Struggle With Vitiligo
- Beyonce Rocks The Stage Against Doctors’ Orders In Belgium & Apologizes Again To The Belgium Crowd On Stage For Show Cancellation
- Dr. Dre Donates $70 Million To USC
- Kelly Rownland Talks About Being Jealous Of Beyonce In New Music ‘Dirty Laundry’
- Actress Angelina Jolie Had Both Of Her Breasts Removed to Prevent Cancer
Latest On IAmSassyChic.Com!
- Are You Suffering From Burnout?
- Reasons Why Women Type Like Thissss ‘Words Elongation’
- Is This One More Reason Why You Should Not Marry? Couples Start Taking Each Other For Granted After Just Three And A Half Years Of Marriage
- Ladies Don’t Know Jack About Valentines
- New Craze…Textured/Velvet Nails: Like it ?
- TopVincent.Com: Are You Losing Yourself To Robots? Get A Real Life With The Real World…
- Research Shows That Women Moan & Scream In Bed Because They Think It Makes ‘Banging’ Better, What The HECK?