It will shock you to know that several foreign celebrities (non Africans) think Africa is a single country. Even if you do not catch them unashamedly saying so, you will find them implying this in their speeches, writings and interviews.
Somewhere last year during Amber Rose’s visit to Ghana, she kept referring to Africa in such a way that shows that; to her, Africa is a country and all there is to Africa is Ghana…
I have heard several foreigners (including non celebrities) making this unintelligent mistake by suggesting that, Africa is just a single country out there…
Apart from these foreign individuals failing to recognise that, like Europe or Asia, Africa is a continent with several countries, diverse culture, beliefs and way of life, several foreign media outlets also continue to project Africa in such a lousy way.
The sad part of this ignorant projection of Africa as a single country is that, some of us, especially our African celebrities are joining in…
Instead of us ceasing any opportunity we get to correct this foreign bred misconception, we rather continue to affirm the misconstruction…
Recently, Yvonne Okoro thought she was being smart by implying that, her nationality is African…These are the people who are aiding the ignorance of the many foreigners…
Today, a blogger friend of mine-Marian Kihogan who seems to be getting tired of the unintelligent projection of Africa as a country wrote on her Facebook wall “Africa like Europe or Asia, is not a country. Although often misrepresented in the mass media Africa is a large and diverse continent with more languages, cultures, traditions and ways of life than can be documented.
No two countries in Africa are the same. Saying he/she is from Africa is about as useful as saying someone is from Asia/Europe etc.
Africa is a continent.”
It feels good to know that, there are still people out there who are ready to educate and challenge this misconception being paraded by some of our own celebrities and foreigners…
It is the beauty of our diverse culture, traditions, beliefs and way of life that defines us. Therefore, any attempt to relegate these distinguished attributes and present us as what we are NOT shouldn’t be entertained…
If no one will by any statement suggest that Europe or Asia is a single country, why Africa?
Anytime you find yourself making this mistake, fix it and when you come across people parading their ignorance in such a manner, correct them!
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- GC GiveAway: WIN The Personalized Beading Long Sleeved Bandage Dress Yvonne Okoro Wore This Weekend For FREE
- If You Are Looking For A ‘Good Girl’, Stay Away From The Social Media JUNKIES
- It Can’t Get Any Better Than This | ‘Sparrow Productions’ Launches The ‘4 BIG THINGS’- A New MOVIE, New LOGO, Adams Apples Season 2 DVD, Sparrow Station & A Short Film…
- OPENED GOSSIP: A Ghanaian Footballer Has 4 Children Outside His Marriage & Wife Doesn’t Know What The HECK To Do!
- Inferiority Complex of the Modern Black Woman-Fake Accent & Skin Bleaching
Latest On BeyondGossip.Com!
- Kanye West Says Being A Rapper Is Dangerous, Just Like A Cop Or Being At War
- PHOTOS: Keri Hilson Celebrates Her 31st Birthday With T-Pain & Others
- The Vivacious Braxton Sisters Grace The Cover Of Hype Hair
- Gabrielle Union Looking Super FAB At The Alvin Ailey 2013 Opening Night Gala
- Mariah Carey Looking ‘Christmasly’ Naughty & Cute As She Performs At Rockefeller Center
- Terrence Howard Secretly Marries Girlfriend After One Month Of Dating?
- Detective Says Paul Walker’s Car Was Going 90 MPH In A 45 MPH Speed Zone At Time Of Fatal Crash!
Latest On IAmSassyChic.Com!
- How To Date Someone With Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI)
- Everything You Should Know About Your Bra
- How To Lose Weight Before Christmas Day!
- How To Overcome Wardrobe Malfunction
- Staying Younger Even When Age Knocks At Your Door
- How To Win Your First Date
- Secrets Your Man Would Not Want You To Know