Last week, we reported on series of bombing in Kano (Northern Nigeria) that killed over 20 people and just yesterday, we also announced the death of Chinua Achebe, a prolific award wining Nigerian writer.
What most of you may not know is that, Chinua Achebe loved Northern Nigeria and has the people of the north, especially Kano at heart as his people.
In fact, he loves them more than anything and has over the years fought alongside them for the their common good.
In a statement titled “On the Passing of Chinua Achebe” released by Prof. Wole Soyinka & J.P. Clark who are like brothers to Achebe, they state that; “Indeed, we cannot help wondering if the recent insensate massacre of Chinua’s people in Kano, only a few days ago, hastened the fatal undermining of that resilient will that had sustained him so many years after his crippling accident.”
Read below for the full statement…
“For us, the loss of Chinua Achebe is, above all else, intensely personal. We have lost a brother, a colleague, a trailblazer and a doughty fighter.
“Of the ‘pioneer quartet’ of contemporary Nigerian literature, two voices have been silenced – one, of the poet Christopher Okigbo, and now, the novelist Chinua Achebe.
“It is perhaps difficult for outsiders of that intimate circle to appreciate this sense of depletion, but we take consolation in the young generation of writers to whom the baton has been passed, those who have already creatively ensured that there is no break in the continuum of the literary vocation.
“We need to stress this at a critical time of Nigerian history, where the forces of darkness appear to overshadow the illumination of existence that literature represents.
“These are forces that arrogantly pride themselves implacable and brutal enemies of what Chinua and his pen represented, not merely for the African continent, but for humanity.
“Indeed, we cannot help wondering if the recent insensate massacre of Chinua’s people in Kano, only a few days ago, hastened the fatal undermining of that resilient will that had sustained him so many years after his crippling accident.”
Once again, may his soul rest in peace!
The question is; how many people will have to die before the bombing stops in Nigeria?
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- SOMEWHERE IN THE WORLD: Justin Bieber Arrested Again | This Time in Canada for ‘Dangerous Driving and Assault’
- Big Brother Africa House Burnt | Organizers Have Suspended Launch of Big Brother Hotshots
- POETIC JUSTICE: Boy Who Recorded & Leaked His Banging Encounter with a Girl without Her Knowledge, Forced To Marry Her in Ghana
- Players in Ghana’s Movie Industry Are NOT Business Minded | They’ve Watched On Unconcerned For a Bank to Take Over Accra’s Only Biggest Surviving Cinema
- Classification Board Approves ‘Castro Amanehunu’ Movie – Actors In It Are Named: Castro, Janet, Asamoah Gyan & So Film Producers Association Says ‘We Won’t Allow It to Be Released’