Last week, we reported on series of bombing in Kano (Northern Nigeria) that killed over 20 people and just yesterday, we also announced the death of Chinua Achebe, a prolific award wining Nigerian writer.
What most of you may not know is that, Chinua Achebe loved Northern Nigeria and has the people of the north, especially Kano at heart as his people.
In fact, he loves them more than anything and has over the years fought alongside them for the their common good.
In a statement titled “On the Passing of Chinua Achebe” released by Prof. Wole Soyinka & J.P. Clark who are like brothers to Achebe, they state that; “Indeed, we cannot help wondering if the recent insensate massacre of Chinua’s people in Kano, only a few days ago, hastened the fatal undermining of that resilient will that had sustained him so many years after his crippling accident.”
Read below for the full statement…
“For us, the loss of Chinua Achebe is, above all else, intensely personal. We have lost a brother, a colleague, a trailblazer and a doughty fighter.
“Of the ‘pioneer quartet’ of contemporary Nigerian literature, two voices have been silenced – one, of the poet Christopher Okigbo, and now, the novelist Chinua Achebe.
“It is perhaps difficult for outsiders of that intimate circle to appreciate this sense of depletion, but we take consolation in the young generation of writers to whom the baton has been passed, those who have already creatively ensured that there is no break in the continuum of the literary vocation.
“We need to stress this at a critical time of Nigerian history, where the forces of darkness appear to overshadow the illumination of existence that literature represents.
“These are forces that arrogantly pride themselves implacable and brutal enemies of what Chinua and his pen represented, not merely for the African continent, but for humanity.
“Indeed, we cannot help wondering if the recent insensate massacre of Chinua’s people in Kano, only a few days ago, hastened the fatal undermining of that resilient will that had sustained him so many years after his crippling accident.”
Once again, may his soul rest in peace!
The question is; how many people will have to die before the bombing stops in Nigeria?
You can subscribe to Ghanacelebrities.com by e-mail address to receive news and upates directly in your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail below and click Sign Up!
- Sonnie Badu DENIES Ever Saying ‘Ghanaian Gospel Musicians Sing Nonsense’ As Reported By A Newspaper But The Editor Says Sonnie Badu Is A LIAR
- 2013 Ghana Movie Awards Launched | Nominees List Out December 14
- Miss Ghana 2013 Giuseppina Baafi Inspires Students Of Her Alma Mater
- SOMEWHERE IN THE WORLD: More Money WON’T Do Any Good To Your Relationship | Couple Break Up Because They Can’t Agree On What To Do With Their Over £100 Million Lottery Win
- MUSIGA Visits Late Ronny Coaches’ Family
Latest On BeyondGossip.Com!
- Mariah Carey Looking ‘Christmasly’ Naughty & Cute As She Performs At Rockefeller Center
- Terrence Howard Secretly Marries Girlfriend After One Month Of Dating?
- Detective Says Paul Walker’s Car Was Going 90 MPH In A 45 MPH Speed Zone At Time Of Fatal Crash!
- Kanye West Signs $10 Million Deal With Adidas
- Alicia Keys At 27th Annual ARIA Awards 2013 In Australia
- New Music: ‘All The Way’ By R. Kelly Feat. Kelly Rowland
- PHOTOS: Lady Gaga Meets Another Gaga At Tokyo Press Conference
Latest On IAmSassyChic.Com!
- How To Lose Weight Before Christmas Day!
- How To Overcome Wardrobe Malfunction
- Staying Younger Even When Age Knocks At Your Door
- How To Win Your First Date
- Secrets Your Man Would Not Want You To Know
- Sex & Relationships: I Like You But I’m Not Looking For A Relationship Right Now…What He Really Means
- Nanokeratin Brazilian Blow Dry: The Perfect Harmless Alternative to Hair Straightening