22 people, including children, have been confirmed dead after an Ariana Grande concert in Mancheter was hit by a bomb blast.
The concert, headlined by the hugely popular American star, was taking place Monday night at the Manchester Arena when the explosion occurred.
According to multiple reports, the attack occurred in the foyer area of the arena and stirred a mass panic among concertgoers. So far, 22 have been confirmed dead with close to threescore injured.
Police have confirmed that the terrorist was one man, who entered the arena with an improvised explosive device (IED). He’s believed to be among those dead.
“We are working to establish the full details of what is being treated by the police as an appalling terrorist attack.” UK Prime Minister Theresa May said.
“All our thoughts are with the victims and the families of those who have been affected.”
Said Greater Manchester Police Chief constable Ian Hopkins“We have been treating this as a terrorist incident and we believe that while the attack last night was conducted by one man, the priority is to establish whether he was acting alone or as part of a network.
“The attacker, I can confirm, died at the arena. We believe the attacker was carrying an improvised explosive device, which he detonated, causing this atrocity.”
Ariana Grande, who had finished her set and left the concert before the explosion, tweeted her shock, horror and condolences to all those affected.
from the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry. i don't have words.
— Ariana Grande (@ArianaGrande) May 23, 2017