The case against 7 of the alleged killers of the late Major Maxwell Mahama has been dropped.
Prosecutors in Cape Coast expressed no interest in continuing the case in court Monday and prayed for the judge to discontinue the case, which was granted.
This is to allow for the suspects to be transferred to Accra where their prosecution would continue.
Police prosecutors in Cape Coast have discontinued the case against the first batch of persons who were arrested for their alleged complicity in the murder of Major Maxwell Adam Mahama.
The move is to allow the Police to transfer the seven accused persons, including the assembly man said to have masterminded the killing of the military officer at Denkyira-Obuasi in the Central Region on May 29, 2017, to Accra for prosecution.
The seven, all residents of Denkyira Obuasi, were arraigned on a provisional charge of murder on June 1 at the Cape Coast District Court which remanded them into police custody to allow for further investigations into the case.
When the case came up in Court Monday morning, police prosecutors announced the Police Central Intelligence Department Headquarters in Accra has taken over the case, hence prayed the court to discharge the accused persons. Counsel for the accused persons, George Bernard Shaw, did not oppose the request by the prosecution.
However, he told the court the assemblyman, William Baah, has a head injury and prayed the court to order the prosecution to give him a medical attention. He neither did not say how Baah had the head injury or the nature of the injury. The court in view of the prosecution’s request, discharged the seven persons and struck out the case.
At least 50 residents of Denkyira-Obuasi have so far been arrested across the country as they tried to escape justice.
Almost all the arrested have been put before various courts in Accra and have since been remanded.
The Police is making efforts to consolidate the case into one for prosecution.