The public’s confidence in Ghana’s banking sector has been completely destroyed in recent times. From collapsed banks to micro finance companies having to assault customers rather than paying them, it’s a very difficult time for the industry.
Jobs are being lost, people are losing money and worse of all, confidence is crumbling which if not arrested could have a ripple effect on the entire industry.
As Dr Ndoum recently said, no bank can survive panic withdrawals and therefore consumer confidence is very important or the whole system could come crushing down.
The Bank of Ghana has not covered itself in glory either, in the way they’ve handled some of these issues; espcially considering how they have run down some banks like uniBank whilst giving others money to chop freely (see Mensa Otabil).
In a move designed to try and bring back confidence into the sector, the list of licenced banks in Ghana has been released.
These banks are the banks you should patronize if you do not want to your cash to get into trouble ( list current as at August 2018).
1. Access Bank (Ghana) Limited
2. ADB Bank Limited
3. Bank of Africa, Ghana Ltd
4. Bank of Baroda (Ghana) Limited
5. Banque Sahélo-Saharienne pour I’Investissement et le Commerce BSIC (Ghana) Limited
6. Barclays Bank of Ghana Ltd.
7. CAL Bank Limited
8. Consolidated Bank Ghana Limited
9. Ecobank Ghana Limited
12. Fidelity Bank Limited
13. First Atlantic Bank Ltd
14. First National Bank (Ghana) Ltd
15. GCB Bank Limited
16. GN Bank Limited
17. Guaranty Trust Bank (Ghana) Limited
18. Republic Bank (Ghana) Ltd
19. National Investment Bank Ltd
20. Prudential Bank Limited
21. Societe General (Ghana) Limited
22. Stanbic Bank Ghana Ltd
23. Standard Chartered Bank (Ghana) Limited
24. United Bank for Africa (Ghana) Ltd.
25. Universal Merchant Bank Ltd
26. Zenith Bank (Ghana) Limited
27. Premium Bank Ltd
28. OmniBank Ghana Limited
29. Heritage Bank Limited
30. GHL Bank Limited
31. ARB Apex Bank Ltd