Kwesi Nyantakyi, a Ghanaian banker and a lawyer became president of the Ghana Football Association in December 2005 until he shamefully resigned on 7 June 2018 after he was caught on tape taking a bribe from award-winning undercover journalist Anas Aremeyaw Anas in his famous ‘number 12’ expose.
The signs became quiet glaring that his end will soon come after he was caught up on various occasions in one scandal or the other. Kwesi Nyantakyi in his over 13 years of being at the helm of affairs at the GFA was ‘entrapped’ in seven very big scandals.
The sad reality was that in all of these traps he was found helplessly lying in, he conjured some mysterious magic and found his way out of them.
These seven big scandals were:
- Midsea/Afrisat agency fee scandal In 2008.
- EOCO raid GFA offices In December 2010.
- Westhead agency controversy In 2012.
- Nyantakyi caught by British newspaper The Telegraph and Channel 4 agreeing to fix Ghana’s friendly matches In 2014.
- Refusal to pay SSNIT contribution of his players for close to 10 years
- Brazil 2014 scandal and Co-efficient payment, which was actually the biggest scandal to hit the GFA.
- Nyantakyi pays nearly $1million for a government contract but defrauded by businessman In April 2015.
The final one, which was the eighth and his last because the Greek gods had finally decided his fate, was when he was caught influence-peddling and defrauding by false pretense against the president of the land.
Just like the anonymous Euripides ancient proverb states “those whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad”, the gods clearly made Kwesi Nyantakyi mad, as he failed to listen to all the advice people offered him especially after the 2014 Brazil scandal to resign peacefully as the FA president because the center could not hold at the time.
The gods surely wanted to destroy him for all his greed and corruption at the GFA and as such silently whispered into his ears through his terrible advisors to stay on as GFA president until his disgrace and the subsequent life ban from football FIFA severed on him today, October 30, 2018.