Over the past year or so, Menzgold Ghana and its CEO, Nana Appiah Mensah, have been the target of a barrage of attacks that have left one of the most patronized local companies in crisis, its CEO in custody and tons of customers in financial trouble.
The confluence of events needed for the current state of affairs to occur are extraordinary and yet somehow, it has managed to occur.
Despite cooperation from Menzgold on regulatory issues, attempts to retrieve large sums of money by its CEO from a foreign company and willingness to cooperate with law enforcement, Menzgold and Nana Appiah Mensah have been stymied at every turn, leading to the current situation with NAM 1 in Interpol custody in Dubai when he should be free to pursue a huge debt owed him.
It seems strange but all attempts by Menzgold and its CEO to solve its challenges are being met by resistance when he should be helped instead.
To clear the air about current happenings in the case, NAM 1’s lawyers released a document addressing the issue comprehensively and calling for an expedited solution.
Below are some of the raw facts surrounding Menzgold’s current issue we’ve gleaned, showing someone somewhere is working too hard to stop NAM 1 from successfully retrieving his money to pay back customers.
- Menzgold Ghana is currently fighting a Dubai based firm to retrieve $39m owed to NAM 1 by this company – Horizon Royal Diamond.
- Menzgold and Nana Appiah Mensah were introduced to this company by members of the Economic and Organized Crimes Office (EOCO), sort of guaranteeing their trustworthiness.
- Horizon went on to carry out a gold deal worth $39m with Menzgold, but issued fraudulent payment documents after receiving the gold.
- After regulatory overreach affected Menzgold Ghana, Nana Appiah Mensah travelled to Dubai to retrieve the money owed him.
- Horizon Royal Diamond, to avoid paying what they owed, reported NAM 1 for fraud to the authorities leading to his arrest.
- NAM 1 won his court case against Horizon Royal, clearing him of all charges and instead winning damages against the firm who owed him money.
- With the Dubai courts now on his side to award him a settlement and get him his money back, which would undoubtedly help Menzgold customers in Ghana, the Ghanaian government issued an Interpol red alert for NAM 1.
- This was done despite Nana Appiah Mensah not being a fugitive and remaining in constant contact with Ghanaian government officials in the UAE.
- The red notice led to his arrest by Interpol in Dubai who are holding him for the government of Ghana despite his aforementioned constant communication with the same.
- Nana Appiah Mensah has been held in custody past 60 days as legally obligated by UAE Federal Law relating to International Cooperation in judicial matters, rendering his current incarceration illegal and a breach of his fundamental human rights.
- Nana Appiah Mensah’s incarceration is now directly preventing him from retrieving the monies owed him from Horizon, which would enable the long-running Menzgold saga in Ghana to come to a satisfactory end for all customers.
What we can tell from these facts…
Nana Appiah Mensah could be released from his unlawful incarceration in the Emirates via one phone call from the government of Ghana.
However, despite his current incarceration – even though he has no criminal liability in the UAE – remaining detrimental to the direct interests of Menzgold customers who government claims to want to help, the call is not forthcoming and Horizon Royal Diamond continue to get away with the alleged fraud.
From the commencement of this issue there are been several underhanded moves which hold Menzgold back from solving its issues and Nana Appiah Mensah’s current incarceration falls squarely in that bracket.
For now, he has assembled a crack legal team both locally and internationally working around the clock to ensure the law is followed in the dealings with him going forward.