Health, Food & Lifestyle

Today Is World Sickle Cell Day – Do You Know Your Genotype?

Published by

The world celebrates sickle cell day ‪on the 19th of June‬ every year.

What do you know about sickle cell disease, have you even bothered to get information on it?

It will interest you to know that about 15,000 babies are diagnosed with sickle cell disease annually in Ghana.

Sickle Cell Disease is an inherited disorder of the red blood cells specifically a component called hemoglobin.

Haemoglobin is a component of the RBC (Red Blood Cells) which aids in carrying oxygen to your cells.

READ ALSO: ‘Only Morons Will Take this Man Seriously’ – Ghanaians React to Dag Heward-Mills’ ‘Hell’ Story and No One Is Buying the Sh*t He’s Selling

Mutations do occur in the genes and this leads to variants of hemoglobin common ones in our part of the world are S and C. The F type is rarely diagnosed in adults.

You inherit the genes that encode for this protein from your parents. An individual inherits an allele from each parent. A point mutation in the genetic sequence converts a glutamic acid codon (GAG) to a valine codon (GUG).

Which then produces HbS instead of HbA.
You’re are either a carrier i.e have just one HbS allele or you have the Sickle cell anaemia disease (SS).

Combinations such as SS, SC aren’t favourable and could lead to fatal outcomes.

During sickle cell crisis the sickled red blood cells block vessels supplying blood to bones and other tissues.

READ ALSO: ‘Strong Woman, Loving Mother and Role Model’ — Nana Aba Anamoah’s Baby Daddy Pens Birthday Message – READ

Hemoglobin levels go very low (anaemia) – fatigue sets in, severe joint pains, lung and heart injuries amongst others.

Most people with sickle disease require frequent blood transfusion since the body breakdown this type of red blood cells faster as compared to the normal red blood cells.

Although, we have BMT or Blood Stem Cell Transplant a procedure which replaces the unhealthy blood-forming cells in SCD patients with healthy ones the procedure is capital intensive.

READ ALSO: Get Your Mind Checked And Stop Spitting Nonsense – Akuapem Poloo Replies Lutterodt

Regimens are available for managing the disease but It’s best advised that individuals know their sickling status and genotype to make an informed decision especially when it comes to choosing a life partner.

Marriage between individuals with sickled cell disease with the intention of procreating is a big NO.

It’s a game of chance for partners who are both carriers since they have a 25% chance of bringing forth a child with AA genotype, 25% chance of SS genotype and 50% chance of having carriers.

READ ALSO: VIDEO: My Son Is Not Serious – Kwesi Arthur’s Dad On His Decision To Marry At Age 35

It’s not advisable to gamble with the fate of your unborn child.

If your genotype is not AA, marry an AA partner.
That’s your best bet.

Don’t be ignorant
Get tested today.
BSc. Human Biology

This post was published on June 19, 2019 11:38 AM

Our website,, uses cookies. The website uses analytical cookies to check the behavior of visitors and to improve the website on the basis of these data. In addition, third parties place tracking cookies to show personalized advertisements. Do not want to accept all cookies?

Read More