President Akufo-Addo has announced a 3-week extension of the ban on public gatherings instituted in Ghana to help curb the spread of the novel coronavirus.
The President, in a televised nationwide address on the night of Sunday, May 10th 2020, announced that in order to continue measures taken to fight the coronavirus pandemic, the ban has been extended till the end of this month.
“In my address to workers and the nation on May Day, I announced the extension of the closure of our borders for one more month as the means to continue halting the importation of the virus into our country. Tonight, I have come into your homes to announce that the ban on public gatherings, as set out in E.I 64, has been extended also to the end of the month, i.e. 31st May,” the President said.
“So, during this period, there will continue to be a ban on public gatherings, such as the holding of conferences, workshops, parties, nightclubs, drinking spots, beaches, festivals, political rallies, religious activities and sporting events. All educational facilities, private and public, continue to remain closed. There is still a ban on funerals, other than private burials conducted with not more than twenty-five (25) persons.” he added.
There had been considerable pressure on the President to lift the ban on public gatherings, especially from some religious leaders.
The President also announced that the total cases of positive coronavirus infections in the country has risen to 4,700 confirmed cases, out of which 497 have recovered with the number of deaths at 22 and five persons critically ill.
The President said going forward they will be looking at options to ease the restrictions, which he acknowledges has caused immense hardship for the people of Ghana.