With just few weeks left to vote in the Presidential and Parliamentary elections, the Electoral Commission(EC) has released a list of eligible candidates to contest for the elections.
Out of the 17 parties who filed nominations, only 12 political parties will be voted on by Ghanaians to elect a President. 5 parties were disqualified.
Madam Jean Mensa made the list public at the Electoral Commission’s Let the People Know Forum which was held on Monday, October 19, 2020.
The five disqualified candidates included two independent presidential nominees; Kofi Koranteng and Marricke Kofi Gane, and three political party-sponsored nominees; Akwasi Addae Odike of the United Progressive Party (UPP), Kwasi Busumbru of the People’s Action Party (PAP), and Nana Agyenim Boateng of the United Front Party (UFP).
As the laws demand, the disqualified candidates can challenge the legitimacy of the EC’s decision in court and will be included on the ballot paper when they win the case.
Below are the list of Presidential candidates who qualified for the December polls.
- Alfred Kwame Asiedu Walker – Independent candidate
- Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo – NPP
- Christian Kwabena Andrews – GUM
- Brigitte Akosua Dzogbenuku – PPP
- John Dramani Mahama – NDC
- Akua Donkor – GFP
- Nana Konadu Agyemang Rawlings – NDP
- Hassan Ayariga – APC
- Ivor Kobina Greenstreet – CPP
- Henry Herbert Lartey – GCPP
- Percival Kofi Akpaloo – LPG
- David Asibi Ayindenaba Apasera – PNC